Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-28-2021, 02:24 PM   #1
Undr_prsr

Mistake or not? How to move forward?

All, I hired the wrong company to do a tile job after trying due diligence in my selection.

Contractor and I met, tile master was present. Contractor marked tile layout on walls with color and we aligned. We discussed floor requirements and known issues such as a small dip in shower area to be “worked” out. There was a lot of talk about shower floor and prep for shower glass company. Floor was in spec. Walls flat. Walls not perfectly square, but contractor said they can manage that. Large format tile being used and was gonna do 1/2” trowel.

First photo:
Contractor started at wall which would be under cabinets, worked his way through the job, and at door, then SLIVERS! How do you fix this. If they were not gonna plan layout, at least put the garbage not in the focal point of the room, right?

Second photo:
Contractor put shower floor and bathroom floor transition into the window area. When shower glass is installed, this will not match up. They were gonna pop the mosaic and adjacent floor tiles to correct it.

Third/forth photo:
Contractor put shower floor and shower wall in same line. Shower glass will not align with transition to shower floor. The forth photo shows the wall plate and where the wall tile was supposed to be. Have not discussed yet. Moving either wall or floor lines gets ugly IMO.

Fifth photo:
1/4” slope gap at shower wall/floor transition. This was known ahead of time and discussed that it would be addressed. Wry dissapointed.

Other:
Also, the contractor did not protect the wood floors throughout the house and there are stains on them from one of their products. Some cuts are not good and and not straight. I can live with some minor things though. I think the did not use the right blades or used dull ones...

Meeting on Monday to go over resolution. What do I tell them?

1. Redo the whole job?
2. How can this be salvaged?
3. What about the wood floor damage?

If anyone has encountered this, advice is appreciated.

P.S. I don’t know how to fix the photos to not rotate. They are not rotated like this originally and the upload did this.
Attached Images

Unread 02-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
MrBottleneck

Jay, I cannot advise you on tile/job issues because I am not a tile guru but, on your photos turn you phone so long way is horizontal then take your pictures.
I had same problem until, I was instructed to turn phone.

Mike
Unread 03-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Same guys who did your deck, Jay?

Have you a written contract for this tile work?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2021, 10:11 PM   #4
Undr_prsr

Not same guys who did my deck. These are tile pros. 125 reviews and large online footprint. They started in the shower corner opposite the door and cabinets. They are highly rated which is why I’m shocked. Maybe they are a front for quality but higher newbies to do work and I was the trianing ground.

I bought all the tile and even high quality white thinset since I had marble mosiac. They decided to use dark grey and it bled through also. They also had a LOT of bleed through of thinset between the tiles.

I was trying to figure out how to make this work, especially the awkward angle present at the door. Thinking more about it, when I have the cabinets installed, the line is not straight with the cabinet wall and will be even more visible and in your face.

I would like to “fix” this but great it is a complete redo.

Problem with that is I had Kerdi installed which is a premium here and also a special fiberglass preformed shower base called trudek that no one I talked with in the area heard of. It was 600$ for the shower base. I used this to have a true zero transition entry on the third floor with trusses.

Contractor offered to give my partial payment back or redo the work. Both concern me because their redo is to pop off the tiles, water proof and re-lay the tiles. But if I get my half payment back it barely covers the tile, let alone the kerdi, shower based, substrate and leveling materials.

Oh my! What to do?
Unread 03-02-2021, 10:23 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

They related to the guys who did your deck?

Again, have you a written contract for this work?

Unread 03-02-2021, 10:35 PM   #6
Undr_prsr

Sorry, yes under contract. Also, Video showing markings agreed upon and design. Contract was for labor only. Since all they had to do was come and do tile.

Reply attached.

2nd attempt at photos.
Attached Images

Unread 03-02-2021, 10:37 PM   #7
Undr_prsr

Cabinets are custom 110” floaters.
Unread 03-02-2021, 11:11 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, without seeing the contract it's difficult to say just what his liability might be. If he was contracted for nothing but the labor to install the tiles, his offer to refund all the money you paid him might seem fair at a glance, but if he ruined your tile and your preparation in the process of providing that labor, and if you can actually show that the labor he provided was faulty, you might have a good claim for damages.

How does he propose that he will remove the floor tiles and re-waterproof the areas when the wall tiles are still in place in that shower? That's obviously not gonna work at all.

And you've gotta consider your own tolerance for what really needs to happen, which would seem to be removing everything and starting over. Or trying to live with what you've got.

Serious considerations needed here.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 03-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #9
Lou_MA

I’d negotiate to get labor and materials refunded. Make you whole, or at least no worse than before the project started.

It’s my experience that if people can’t do the job right the first time, they rarely have the time, money or patience to do it better the second.
Unread 03-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #10
Undr_prsr

Thank you LOU, I am considering that heavily. I also worried about removing an entire floor, sanding down the grouted floor area with a grinder, then waterproofing and worry how that will fit with the wall as mention by CX. Is that even acceptable?

I will have their response today on this “fix” of theirs.

They also damaged our floors to the point the entire house needs refinished because they used no protection. 50$ - 200$ Max in floor protection coverings goes a long way. This contractor must have laid the wet saw inside and cut tiles directly on my wood floor.

Here is a snippet of the contract. I did ask for 1/16” shower and epoxy two component but that got missed ... I was gonna pay the requested amount he wanted for up charge. I paid for all tile and grout and thinset and spacers. Funny thing is I bought white grout and they decided to not use it on the marble area but used it on the porcelain???

I am getting quotes to have a different contractor do the job right. I think I follow about price worth charged, that is why I did not go lowest bidder. They wanted 5k for tile labor with no niche, no benches, and no cabinet considerations. I do not kind paying for good work, I do mind being taken advantage of though and also being a guinea pig. Hard to find a balance other than get multiple quotes IMO. I hope my next pick on contractors is better. Maybe my expectations are too high and I should just be happy that tile was installed.....
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase