Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
Wotan

Tiling a new South Carolina screened porch

This is a fabulous site, glad I discovered it. I'm a South Carolina homeowner needing tiling advice for a large 14'x32' screened-in porch I'm adding to my existing house. I plan to use tile for the floor, partly because the porch will be about 5' above grade and I want to store things underneath and keep them dry despite any rainwater that might blow in through the screening. Subfloor is 16"oc designed for low deflection (not to exceed L/360, and probably meets L/720) with 3/4" plywood screwed and glued,and 1/2"CBU in thinset and screwed. I plan to use porcelain even though we don't get much frost. How should my installer prevent tile cracking? For example, what gaps to leave in placing plywood, and should any caulking be used? Should I somehow prevent thinset from getting in the gaps? Ditto for CBU. Also, should I use Redgard or some similar isolation membrane? I considered using Ditra to ensure to prevent water from getting through and ensure no cracking, but tile people here in SC I've spoken think that is extreme overkill. Do I need expansion joints, and if so spacing and contruction? Wondering if I could just use a urethane or silicone caulk in joints every 8' or so each direction, and where new floor meets the brick house. What type thinset and grout? Any other construction or installation details I should consider given this particular exterior application? Thanks for some expert advice.
Wotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase