Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
bigtreehouse

Preframing Knee Walls And Sill

FIRST OF ALL I WANT TO THANK JOHN BRIDGE FOR HIS PERSONAL CALL TO ME CONCERING MY BOOK ORDER,"TILE MY WORLD". I HAD ORDERED IT AND A WEEK HAD GONE BY AND I WAS READY TO START BUT NO BOOK.HE ASSURED ME THAT IT WAS COMMING AND THE NEXT DAY IT WAS HERE. THINK IV'E READ IT THRU ABOUT FIVE TIMES. THANKS AGAIN (WHAT A GUY)

I AM A NEWCOMER HERE SO I GET TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS, AT LEAST I DIDN'T READ THAT IN THE RULES TO THE FORUM
MY GUESTION IS ON PREFRAMING THE SHOWERS KNEE WALL AND SILL AREA.
JOHN SUGESTS USING A 2X4 ON ITS SIDE FOR THE SILL AND I LIKE THE IDEA BUT MY KNEE WALL RUNS IN THE SAME LINE AND ALSO A SHORT WALL AT THE OTHER END OF THE ENTERANCE. IM WONDERING IF THAT WOULD MAKE IT A UNSTABLE WALL FRAMED THAT THIN (NO WALLS HAVE BEEN BUILT YET)
SO MY MEASUREMENTS WOULD BE FOR A 5' SPAN :
LEFT TO RIGHT
KNEE WALL ABOUT 40" HEIGHT WIDTH CAN VARY.
DOOR OPENING ABOUT 28 TO 30" WIDTH. WITH 2X4 SILL ON SIDE
REAL SHORT WALL ABOUT 82' HEIGHT BUT WIDTH CAN VARY TO ECCEPT A TILE AND BULLNOSE ON OUTSIDE WALL.
IF I MADE THE KNEE WALL AND THE OTHER SHORT WALL THE REGULAR WAY, 2X4s FLAT WOULD THE SILL LOOK STRANGE OR DO I MAKE THE SILL WIDER THEN IT IS ALL THE SAME.
ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE FOR THE CAPS, BUT WHEN YOU RETIRE AND GET OLD THE EYESIGHT GOES FIRST (THANK GOD THATS ALL)AND I HAVE A HARD TIME EVEN READING WHAT I TYPE. THANKS AGAIN MIKE PECK

Last edited by bigtreehouse; 03-05-2006 at 08:44 PM. Reason: JUST TAKE IT OFF
bigtreehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Mike. Glad it got there. Glad you got here.

Do you think you could post a picture of the area? Framing is always a tricky business in a shower area, especially when you have to go right into a tub area, etc. Also, unlock your caps on your keyboard. Typing in caps is considered yelling on the Internet. I know you've been yelled at before, so you know what I'm talking about.

40 inches is high for a knee wall. Need some sort of picture or a better expanation. Pictures are better than words.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase