Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-07-2006, 06:57 PM   #16
Boinker

I am not sure of the protocols here so bear with me if this is inappropriate. I dont have another question, simply thought I would share my progress in demolition. I also wanted to thank all of you that have replied. This is a very helpful forum! Now do I have the guts to do the whole thing AND try to retile!
Attached Images

Boinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #17
cx
Moderator emeritus

I don't see anything that looks like metal lath on those walls, Paul. Did you encounter anything like that? Can you tell us what the wall was made of now that you've torn it out? Also looks like that's a lead pan. That sound right? Any evidence of a moisture barrier of any kind behind the wall board, like maybe some plastic or roofing felt?

You can still get by with just a pan replacement if that's what you wanna do. You'll still need to cut the grout line above the row of tiles above your demo and remove those tiles without damaging those above. Hafta take the top off the curb, too, but if you're careful maybe you won't damage the front tiles, which would leave your curb/floor joint undamaged.

Looks like they furred out the studs over the pan liner, so you should be able to just cut the furring strips off below your tile, add some blocking between the studs, and be in medium-good shape to install a new pan.

You find some nice contrasting or complimentary tiles for the replacement and you'll be able to call the whole thing a feature.

And more pichers might be helpful. We like pichers.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #18
pitterpat
Bathroom Remodels and Schluterville Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
You can still get by with just a pan replacement if that's what you wanna do. You'll still need to cut the grout line above the row of tiles above your demo and remove those tiles without damaging those above. Hafta take the top off the curb, too, but if you're careful maybe you won't damage the front tiles, which would leave your curb/floor joint undamaged.

You find some nice contrasting or complimentary tiles for the replacement and you'll be able to call the whole thing a feature.
CX, That's what somebody did to one of my customers. A yearlater I was in there replacing the entire shower They called it a "feature" of the of the shower. Featured enough to get the house sold.
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #19
cx
Moderator emeritus

If the rest of the shower is sound, Pat, and the pan replacement is done correctly, it need not fail.

Done incorrectly, it's no better than a whole shower done incorrectly, of course.

Have caused a few pan replacements to be done over the years. My customers know where to find me.

Unread 03-08-2006, 12:31 AM   #20
jdm

Kelly --

If you take a peek at post #13, it sounds like Paul is describing a WonderBoard-like CBU. He mentions two layers of mesh in "plaster".

Was CBU around in the 60's? The floor tile in the pic looks exactly like the tile in the house I grew up in, which was completed in Nov., 1960. I turned 3 that month.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 08:25 AM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

I missed that description, Jeff. Yeah, that certainly sounds like a CBU, but I have no eye-dee what might have been available in that genre back then. Tres interesting.

Maybe that's some sorta plastic pan, too, then. I can't tell from the photo on my screen. Give us more hints, Paul.

Let's axe John Bridge. He'd been settin' tile for nearly twenty years by then.

Unread 03-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #22
Boinker

Ok, more pictures to come tonight when I get home but I will try to describe what I found. On the first day the tile gods said let there be tile, then behind the tile is a strong white string like mesh, then the plaster then another layer of mesh then the studs. From what I can tell, I will lay out some close up pictures tonight, they secured this white string like mesh (it is a stong string about the diameter of 80 psig test fishing line) to the studs then plaster with another layer of mesh then the tile. Three is no plastic or vapor barrier, at least not on the first two rows of tile, that I have found yet. There are firring strips as you can see so yes you are correct on that. There is about 1 1/2 or 2" of mud over a plastic shower pan liner (I chisled out a 1 x 1 foot section of the floor that you can see furred in. On the front and back of the shower there is nothing between the studs but on the long wall you can see a little black asphalt type material on the bottom. More pics and details to come this evening!
Unread 03-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #23
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I don't think cement backer board goes back that far. I don't go back that far.

I think the stuff was invented in the 70s, so that means the shower is not original. It's a re-do. We were still using the shoe base at the bottoms of the walls in the 70s and 80s. No telling when it was done.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #24
Boinker

Ok just had a "tile guy" come in to give me an estimate to do the replacement. He said this shower clearly has been replaced, the lead pan is a thin plastic type material and the tile was adhearded to backer board. His big question is how the pan was leaking as it is not the original lead pan. To bad my chisel already put a hole in it so its comming out now. He did tell me to look at the Simmons shower as they tend to leak. Also, there is clearly water damage on all the firring strips not just the ones under the shower head. I think now it may be worth redoing the whole thing including new shower heads etc....
Unread 03-08-2006, 09:20 PM   #25
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
He did tell me to look at the Simmons shower as they tend to leak.
I think I have no eye-dee what that means.

Quote:
I think now it may be worth redoing the whole thing including new shower heads etc....
That is frequently the case and most often recommended hereabouts.

Unread 03-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #26
kdzgon
Official CPA -- JB Forums

posted by cx "If the rest of the shower is sound, Pat, and the pan replacement is done correctly, it need not fail."

Yes, but replacing the whole shower is so much more fun, and usually much prettier, too!

Laurie

(btw, what happened to the post buttons, like "quote" (or "reply with quote", maybe?)
kdzgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #27
cx
Moderator emeritus

No argument there, Laurie.

There's still a quote balloon above the reply text box where you can copy and paste selected text, Laurie. Just can't indiscriminately copy entire posts with your reply any more.

Unread 03-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #28
bbcamp

Laurie, we've removed the quote button because a number of folks always replied by quoteing the entire post, then provided a 2 or 3 work response. It made it tough on those who read every thread and post.

You can still quote. Simply highlight the text you want to quote, copy and paste it into the reply box. Highlight it again and click on the little button that looks like a thought balloon. There will be QUOTE brackets placed around the highlighted text. That text will appear in a blue box like before.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #29
Boinker

Quote:
He did tell me to look at the Simmons shower as they tend to leak.

I think I have no eye-dee what that means.
Sorry, the shower knob to make water hot or cold is a Simmons and he said they leak all the time and i should replace that. Problem is now that the tile is all off i can not find the shut off valves.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase