Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Jeff Q

Beam Support Advise

Thanks to this great site and its deflecto meter, I have realized that my existing floor does not have proper support structure. I will be replacing a vinyl kitchen floor with stone. The floor consists of 1 ½” x 7” (actual measurements) knotty joists which are 12’ long and 16” on center. The area below the kitchen is an unfinished basement, used as a laundry and work room with plumbing, heating, and A/C lines a plenty.

I plan on adding an additional support beam (14’ long) directly in the center between the existing steel I-beam and the block foundation exterior wall, giving me a new value of 6’ on center between joist supports.

My questions are:
What size and type beam and columns should I use (realize steel will be very heavy- looking for alternatives)?

Can I hang one end of the beam from a support attached to the existing perpendicular foundation block wall (this foundation wall separates two sides of a four level split home-if so, what type bracket would I use)?

What is the maximum spacing allowed between the support columns (the fewer column the better to keep the basement open)?

Appreciate any advise or information you can provide.

Jeff
Jeff Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jeff.

You're gonna hafta wait for the resident Injineer to get an official calculation, but a pair of 2x10s and a center support post is gonna be pretty close, I'm thinkin'.

At the block wall, simplest method might be to just add a post against the wall and sit the beam atop. You can attach a suitable ledger to the wall, but it's not always easy, depending upon whether the blocks are filled, etc. You can also cut a pocket into the wall sometimes, but that gets complicated, too. If there's a joist sitting atop the wall and flush with the inside face, you may be able to hang the beam from that - Simpson likely makes a suitable tie, or you could fabricate one.

In any event, you can support the beam there somehow.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
bbcamp

2 2x10s with a support in the middle will be very good. Set the post(s) on a footing block to spread the load out on the slab.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Ah, yes! One blind squirrel, one acorn.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
Jeff Q

Beam Support Advise

Perhaps I wasn't clear on my situation. One end of the proposed 14' beam will be at a foundation wall, the other end needs to be in the open area of my basement. I guess my questions now are:

Do I need to put multiple columns in or can I get by with one column supported at the foundation wall and one column 14' away, in the middle of my basement?

If I bump up to a larger beam will that allow me to increase the distance between the columns?

Is there a calculator for this?

Is another option for me to reduce the span to 12' between foundation wall and open area column support, and allow beam to continue past column the last 2'?

Thanks
Jeff Q
Jeff Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase