Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-05-2004, 12:53 PM   #1
kitty

ceramic tile novice

My first project is a half bath. I've installed 1/2in. wonderboard but now am unsure about transitioning from the tile down to a hardwood floor. The difference seems too great to use a t strip. Also, do I cut the tile around the door frame or tile up to the frame? Tiling up to the frame would leave an even larger gap to transition.
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
COBALT

So you're tiling the walls but not the floor. You could get a matching quarter round that can go on the floor (that matches your hardwood), and calk the seam between the quarter round and the tile on the wall...

As for the door frame I took the trim off around the door, and drew my layout lines to bring the tile to about 1/8" away from the trim. Then since I'm replacing the door I'll cut my trim and adjust it to match the tile, and calk the seam with sanded calk that matches the color of my grout.
Unread 11-05-2004, 04:21 PM   #3
bbcamp

I think Kitty is tiling the floor.

For the tile to hardwood transition, you need a tapered strip that your hardwood flooring can get for you, or you can make it yourself, if you have access to the wood and tools.

Your tile should end at about 1/4" away from the wall. This means that the tile will have to go under the door frame. You can take the frame off, but you may find it easier to trim the frame in position by using a hand saw supported by a tile and a piece of cardboard. Cut carefully, and you won't damage anything. Youwill be able to slip the floor tiles under the door trim. You don't want to mess with trying to contour your tile to follow the trim.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2004, 04:42 PM   #4
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
Sounds like you need a baby threshold. It looks like a "j" with a lip on it when the "T" caps dont work you would use a baby threshold.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2004, 09:39 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Kitty,

You might also use a "Schluter" from Home Depot. Check it out here. http://www.schluter.com

Rondec looks good just about anywhere.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase