Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-03-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Dave the rave

Home Depot Granite tiles

Hi tilers,

Has anybody used the 3/8', 12x12 Home Depot granite tiles? Do they warp? Does modified thinset work on them?

Never used granite before. I'm going over a newly laid vinyl tile floor. The owner just bought the place and didn't like the black and white checkerboard vinyl tiles. I think they're vinyl. They're very shiny and soft.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dave the rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-03-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

First idea would be to remove those nice soft vinyl tile.

Yes, a modified thinset for granite.

Is this over concrete or wood, granite needs a stronger floor if wood.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2004, 06:48 PM   #3
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
not being rude but have you ever installed granite before. From what it sounds you are new at granite. And if you are going over vinyl with granite dude you are asking for major problems.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2004, 06:53 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Tile, either ceramic or natural stone, should not be installed over vinal. Also, stone needs a twice as stiff subfloor as ceramic tile does to survive. So, you'll need to remove the vinal flooring and probably the luan plywood usually installed under it first. Then, you need to determine the joist spacing, subfloor thickness and type, and longest unsupported joist length. Check out the Deflecto link above to help determine the suitability of your subflooring for granite.

I've only worked with a couple of different granites and they do not warp (although they could be cut poorly when you buy them). Some marbles warp, and maybe some other stones, but granite typically doesn't. Some granites are more prone to cracking or crystals popping out, but usually, those exhibiting that are usually culled out at the manufacturing location assuming you buy prime quality tile (not seconds). Not sure what HD sells. Make sure all of the cases are from the same lot, or you may have bigger differences in coloration and veining than you want.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2004, 03:07 PM   #5
Dave the rave

Hey dudes,

Thanks for saving my ass!!! I called the customer and told him about the expansion problem and he was simpathetic, but, of course, not pleased.

I told him that I had consulted with my tiling buddies, as I had never laid granite over vinyl before, and as I wanted to be sure about it.

So, thanks, tiling buddies! And yeah, I've never done granite before, but suspect that you have to be careful with it and not lay too much at a time, as with marble, it probably floats around and takes forever to set.

Whew!!!
Dave the rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2004, 03:12 PM   #6
JTG

I have seen there is a problem with the granite that HD imports from China. They are not uniform in any dimention.
Use Custome Marble and Granite mortar to set them.

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase