Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-05-2020, 06:19 AM   #31
VTgal

Daily cleaning of flat pebble tile shower floor

I have Solistone flat pebble tile flooring in master bath shower. The stones have been sealed. Soap scum, I guess, builds up causes pinkish hue on the floor at times. I’ve used a 16:1 ratio of water & vinegar to spray it down & then brush & rinse it afterwards but that’s hard work on a large floor area for somebody with bad back issues. ?Can some one recommend other safe daily cleaners to use that is less labor intensive?

Last edited by VTgal; 07-05-2020 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Grammar
VTgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #32
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
You might consider picking up a "boat brush". Basically fairly soft bristles with an extendable handle that will allow you to softly scrub it while standing.

As for the cleaner - I dunno what will work best. Maybe straight PineSol? Pour some on, work it in with the boat brush, let it sit for 10 minutes, rinse with the hand held.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #33
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hello, Sterling.

First of all, the vinegar is not a good idea. While it is stubbornly popular, it’s not a cleaner. Vinegar is an acid. It eats. It does not clean. On a micro level, you are etching/deteriorating your stone. And it has removed your sealer. Granted, you’ve diluted the solution a lot so it’s a light acid and isn’t as bad as stronger solutions.

But you’re much better off with an alkaline cleaner that will break down soap scum. Initially, to get rid of the pink mold that’s feeding on your soap scum and the soap scum itself, I’d recommend a high-alkaline cleaner. You can find these in the tile section wherever tile is sold. Often, it’ll have the name similar to ‘heavy duty tile and grout cleaner’. Flood the surface with the cleaner and allow it to dwell for 5-7 minutes. Agitate all the surfaces with a nylon bristle brush. Then vacuum away the dirty mess. You may need to repeat the process with those pebbles. Afterwards, rinse the surface with water to neutralize the pH.

Typically, I’d warn you that a high alkaline cleaner strips the sealer and you’d need to reapply the stuff. But your cleaning sessions with the acid have already done that and it’s long gone. And there are those (me included) that don’t see a real benefit to sealing a shower. Sealing is meant to temporarily keep a potential staining liquid from soaking into the pores while you rush to clean it away. That’s not what happens in a shower. There’s a misnomer that sealing helps keep something clean. It does zero on that front. It’s only meant to be a temporary stain blocker before it’s cleaned.

Now that the shower is clean, use a stone specific pH-neutral cleaner on a more regular basis to maintain the cleanliness. These cleaners can also be found wherever tile is sold. They don’t harm the stone, nor do they strip sealer (if you desire to reapply). Another suggestion is to consider switching to a liquid soap to get away from the soap scum (and mold that feeds off it).

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #34
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What the others said. I'd also make sure to have good ventilation in the bathroom. Some folks also recommend to dry the shower with a towel after using it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #35
VTgal

Thanks for the suggestions for using a Specific stone PH neutral stone cleaner or liquid soap for daily cleaning. Any name brands that anyone can recommend specifically would be helpful.
Unread 07-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #36
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've used Krud Kutter for cleaning natural stone.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 07-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #37
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A pinkish color often is a type of mold. It's tough to get rid of since it produces a slick layer that protects itself.

A cleaner that can help kill it is MoldeX. A home brew recommended on this site is made up of the following:
- Borax
- hydrogen peroxide
- alcohol

I don't remember the proportions, the recipe isn't where I thought it was. The hydrogen peroxide shreds the DNA, the alcohol helps to cut through the slime, and the borax helps as a mild abrasive, if I remember.

The recipe was in the cleaning forum maybe someone will look up for you.

Okay, I found the recipe, posted here many years ago by someone in the cleaning industry...
Try this:
1/2 gal. white vinegar
1/2 gal. hydrogen peroxide-common peroxide available from your *********
1 cup boric acid
Mix well - use in a spray bottle on a dry surface. Shake well and spray area well. The vinegar/peroxide kills active live mold and the boric acid keeps them that way.
Keep this solution in a bottle that can be capped off tight.

The hydrogen peroxide acts like a bleach. The boric acid (weak) shreds the cell wall of the mold, allowing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to then kill it.

The hassle with this particular mold is that it grows a slimy covering, so some scrubbing is required.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.

Last edited by jadnashua; 07-05-2020 at 08:21 PM. Reason: added recipe
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #38
VTgal

Smile

Thxs very much to all that took their time to answer!
Unread 07-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #39
VTgal

I’ve bought the Krud Kutter & have a few questions: Do I apply it to a “dry” pebble stone floor? Do I allow it to soak in for a time? If so, how long is ok? Is it ok to brush the solution onto the pink soap scum (which is mainly on the grouted areas) to help remove it? Do I towel residue off after brushing or can I just rinse off residue? (I’m hoping I can rinse-would be easier).
I see where on the spray bottle it says skin & eye irritant-I’m assuming that means I can’t use this after I shower while standing barefoot in the shower?
Unread 07-11-2020, 06:49 AM   #40
VTgal

Also, I know most here have advised to not bother with sealing this type of floor-I went back to manufacturer (Solistone) who advised my tiler to seal before & after grouting. Once I’m done with cleaning with Krud Kutter, I’m assuming I have removed the sealer. I have left over sealer. I don’t know if I should reseal & then if I use the ph neutral tile & stone cleaner (I bought OceanCare product), if I will have some repeat trouble or if once resealed & I use ph neutral cleaner daily, if that will keep problem away? Thanks again all.
Unread 07-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #41
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I always spray Krud Kutter on a dry surface and let it dwell for 5-10 minutes. Then add a little more if needed and scrub well. Then I rinse (spray) it all off. I wouldn't use it as a daily cleaner, weekly or so is fine. I don't know how many cleanings it would take for it to remove the sealer.

If you happen to have a piece of Solistone around, you might test spray a little on it first. I've used Krud Kutter many times and have never had a problem with it hurting any surfaces but it's always good to test spray it first.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 07-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #42
VTgal

Thxs Davy!
Unread 07-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #43
VTgal

Davy-I guess you don’t use this cleaner while bare footed? I know that’s crazy to ask...but in our old shower we would just clean & rinse walls & floor at dms of our showering.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase