Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-25-2020, 07:25 AM   #1
joshualtucker

Tub flange sticking out too far.

I’m a diy guy and have a problem. Ok so I had a plumber install my tub and it’s sucked up to one side and the back wall fine but the other side is away from the wall and my hardiebacker board is not flush up to it. The tub flange actually sticks out past the board. Can I just thinset this area and taper it up the board to make it get level with the tub flange so my tile will overlap the tub flange?
I realize I should’ve done it differently but now that I’m at this point rushing to have my house refinanced what can I do to make it work? Any advise is welcome. I take criticism very well. Thank you everyone.
Attached Images

joshualtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Josh.

Interesting installation. You say a plumber installed the tub. He did this before or after the wall board was installed? How was the other end of the tub treated?

The fix is the same, regardless. You need to move that end wall to accommodate the tub's tiling flanges. You can do that by removing the existing wallboard and shimming the studs such that the face of the wallboard is at least proud of the tiling flange on the drain side. It's possible I suppose, but less desirable, to install a second layer of wallboard over what you've got to achieve the above condition. You then will need to bring your wall waterproofing membrane down over the tiling flanges all around the tub, including at the front where it is uncommon, but very desirable, to have such flanges at all.

You'll then need to decide how to accommodate the change in wall surface elevation. You can also shim out the rest of that wall to match the shower walls, or you can use some sort of trim and call it a "feature."

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
joshualtucker

Looks like I’ll be pulling that wall then.
The tub was installed before the backer board. I was working long hours and wife wanted it done so I hired a plumber to set it. If he would’ve shimmed both sides of the tub instead of one it probably would’ve worked out better. Oh well. Time to start shimming the wall. Thanks for the response.
Unread 06-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
landersen

If it makes you feel any better, the plumber I hired did the same exact thing. I did catch it and shim the walls out before putting on the backerboard, but I wasn't in the same time crunch as you were.
Unread 06-25-2020, 08:24 PM   #5
joshualtucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landersen View Post
If it makes you feel any better, the plumber I hired did the same exact thing. I did catch it and shim the walls out before putting on the backerboard, but I wasn't in the same time crunch as you were.

That makes me feel a little bit better, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 06-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
You'll then need to decide how to accommodate the change in wall surface elevation. You can also shim out the rest of that wall to match the shower walls, or you can use some sort of trim and call it a "feature."
Just wanted to draw attention to this, Josh. If you shim out the wall board then it will be proud of the adjacent drywall, leaving a lip that's going to be tough to deal with.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
Platypus

What Dan said. It will look best if it is even on both ends of the tub, which means shimming both walls, and you will more than likely need to find some mud caps or devise some other "feature" that will make these attractive transitions from wall to tile, as they will not be in-plane anymore.

Or, you could shim the entire wall on one end, depending on the rest of the room's attributes and your appetite for, and the nature of, any "feedback" you might hear.

Just remember, you DID hire a pro, and they flaked** out. Sadly, "I hired a pro" provides little guarantee these days that a job will be done properly (apologies to the good ones here, but you know this better than I do, however, since you all must work with hacks far more often than the rest of us). The only time I have seen a proper waterproofing membrane is on this site, and in my own projects...

**- Listen to Frank Zappa's "Flakes" if you need to lighten your mood on this topic.
Unread 07-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
joshualtucker

We decided to do shiplap next to the wall that needed shimmed out so it worked out great up against the tile. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase