Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #151
Radas
Tile Newbie

That's good looking stone right there Dan. Yeah I'm still nervous about the water being in there as I haven't gotten home yet, but I'm sure all is well especially with the added Sika at the seams.

I think I have a JohnBridge first here:

Picked up my custom schluter drain from my buddy's powder coating shop. Flat black like the Delta trim and rain head.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Attached Images

..a new excuse to hoard tools

Last edited by jgleason; 02-11-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #152
makethatkerdistick

Do you know how durable the powder coat is in your application, Ali? There will at least be some rubbing where the grate meets the frame if you clean your strainer on a regular basis. If you don't have a strainer insert yet, I recommend you get one. Schluter will send those free of charge upon request. Will save your waste water plumbing the hassle of hair accumulation.
Unread 01-23-2019, 05:24 PM   #153
Radas
Tile Newbie

Wolfgang, the finish should be fine and last a long time. It has 2x coats of black powder on it. Same stuff he uses for commercial coatings and rims that handle road debris, stones, and hours of salt spray.

I didn't know about the strainer, good call I appreciate it!

Checked the water level again and wiped the sweat off my forehead. All is well.

Attached Images

Last edited by jgleason; 02-11-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Unread 01-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #154
Radas
Tile Newbie

Is this normal? I have some dark areas around my drain.

Attached Images

Last edited by jgleason; 02-11-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Unread 01-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #155
Radas
Tile Newbie

More photos of affected area. It looks like I may have punctured the membrane a little with my drywall knife in two spots outside of the drain area when installing and the water wicked towards the drain.

Weird thing is, water level looks the same as 10 hours ago

Attached Images

Last edited by jgleason; 02-11-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Unread 01-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #156
makethatkerdistick

Here's a photo of my strainer. They used to include them routinely in the U.S. as they've apparently always done in Germany and other parts of Europe. I wonder why they stopped adding the part. Perhaps Americans don't like to unscrew the grate and clean the strainer?

It's my believe that residential drain pipes are primarily made for two things: waste water and human waste. Human hair can take years to degrade in your pipes. It's fairly stable. My plumbing is old, so this part has become a must.
Attached Images

Unread 01-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #157
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The stone is nice. They'd gotten 5 similar slabs in on Friday and by the time I got there mid day Sat 2 where already sold. It's one of those "that's it" finds, just like the granite for my kitchen counter tops and the soap stone in the family room.

Love custom touches like that, Ali, well done. And I like how you committed to it by, it appears, screwing it directly to the console top. Like a boss.

No idea on the dark spots I'm afraid, I've just not seen enough of these installs to know. That the water level did not visibly drop suggests it can't be much of a leak - if it is actually leaking. But if you know that you accidently sliced the membrane you'll definitely wanna find where.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #158
makethatkerdistick

IF you KNOW you punctured the membrane but don't know where (hard to tell sometimes), I'd just attach one additional layer of Kerdi to the floor (if you've got enough left over). Problem solved! In this case I wouldn't see the need for another flood test. That also keeps everything even as opposed to patching up various spots. If you patch and use very small floor tile, you might experience height differences.
Unread 01-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #159
Radas
Tile Newbie

Dan, debated on leaving it screwed on the console lid but I figured it'd be more functional in the shower.

Wolfgang, that's a cool strainer, I'll have to remember to call them today and order one.

As for the wicking, it doesn't seem to have spread at all and the water level has held steady for about 30 hours now. I don't know if I nicked the Kerdi or not for sure - I know my putty knife snagged on the fabric a few times but I don't know if it broke through. I figured, worst case, I could paint ardex 8+9 over the pan area and about 6" up for added insurance. I've seen a few posts claiming 8+9 is compatible with schluter fabric but will void my warranty. I figure Herr Schluter will void the warranty anyway considering the LFT and glass will go up using versabond/flexbond. Thoughts?

Unread 01-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #160
Radas
Tile Newbie

Water level @ 30 hours... Still at 1.25"
Attached Images

Last edited by jgleason; 02-11-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Unread 01-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #161
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Looking at the photos again, I wonder if it's actually wicking away from the drain; moisture being absorbed by the mortar between the cut edge of the Kerdi on top of the drain flange and wicking backwards....
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #162
speed51133

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethatkerdistick View Post
Here's a photo of my strainer. They used to include them routinely in the U.S. as they've apparently always done in Germany and other parts of Europe. I wonder why they stopped adding the part. Perhaps Americans don't like to unscrew the grate and clean the strainer?

It's my believe that residential drain pipes are primarily made for two things: waste water and human waste. Human hair can take years to degrade in your pipes. It's fairly stable. My plumbing is old, so this part has become a must.
where did you buy this? I do not even see it listed anywhere.....I even downloaded the Schluter Kerdi drain handbook in German......
https://www.schlueter.de/media/schlu...i_drain_de.pdf
Unread 01-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #163
Radas
Tile Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Looking at the photos again, I wonder if it's actually wicking away from the drain; moisture being absorbed by the mortar between the cut edge of the Kerdi on top of the drain flange and wicking backwards....
That's possible Dan, I did seal the seam between fabric and flange with Sika but I must not have squeezed all the mortar out at the drain which is odd.

Mike, he contacted schluter and they sent him one IIRC.

Unread 01-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #164
makethatkerdistick

Mike, I called Schluter and they sent me two of those for free. They're nicer than the ones that automatically come with the linear drains which feel somewhat flimsy to me. Both work well.
Unread 01-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #165
Radas
Tile Newbie

Ardex 8+9 showed up this afternoon and I went to work this evening. Those areas where the Kerdi was wicking (likely from operator error) had me concerned even though the pan held water for 36 hours with no noticeable drop.

I've 2-coated the pan and corners and 2-coated most of the bench and curb. I'll likely coat the bottom one more time and hit the curb/top of the bench with a second coat tomorrow. I should be able to start tiling this weekend without any paranoia and a little of my OCD has been satisfied.

My granite pieces were also completed and test fit. I had to notch the door casing to get the curb to fit properly (bottom left in the photo). My test fitting was done by stacking two tile spacers across the outer perimeter of the curb. The outside measured 3/16" higher than the inside and the 45 degree corner fit perfectly. My granite shop also gave me a leftover tub of black tinted epoxy to weld the two curb pieces together and make a seamless transition.

Attached Images

Last edited by jgleason; 02-11-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase