Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
trenolds39

Replacing bathroom vanity with tile floor and backsplash

Would you recommend using the kerdi shower pan for replacing an old drain set in concrete with a kerdi drain? Looking at the kerdi rough in, it seems like the mortar thickness required to get a preslope is the same as the kerdi pan thickness. So for someone with zero experience with mortar, the kerdi pan seems to be the more foolproof method?
Unread 02-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
trenolds39

Replacing bathroom vanity with tile floor and backsplash

Hi,

I have a bathroom with an old vanity I'd like to replace. The floors are tiled, and were cut to fit the vanity at the bottom. There is also a tile backsplash between the countertop and mirror, and medicine cabinet on the side. I wanted to replace it with an inexpensive vanity until I get around to redoing the whole bathroom, but finding an exact fit at the $200-300 pricepoint has proven difficult. Are there transition pieces I can use between the backsplash and top, as well as at the bottom front that would look decent? Or am I looking at cutting the tile and redoing the backsplash just to replace the vanity?
Unread 02-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Kman

The tray certainly requires less labor than a mud pan. But only if your floor is flat and level to begin with. If it isn't, you have to make that right before setting the tray. It also works best when the tray is the same size as the shower, and the drain is placed to fit the tray.

Not so with a mud pan, which is custom fit to the shape and size of the shower, and isn't affected by the floor being out of level of out of plane. And the location of the drain doesn't matter, although it's always best to have it centered.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Tanner.

I've moved your post from the Kerdi ebook thread to your bathroom thread. That ebook thread is for discussion relating to the purchase of the ebook and such.

We can give this thread a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

As for your vanity question, I think we'd need some photos to be of much help there. Use the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box to attach photos from storage on your computer.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase