Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
grumpyHomeowner

Pebble floor shower - grout too thick

We hired a tile installer on recommendation from a tile shop. He royally screwed up the job and we fired him. One of those things is the shower pan. We have small pebble tile flooring. The installer put so much grout on this that the pebbles are almost buried. This is on an inspected shower pan, and a DTRA heated flooring, and SLC. Can we use muriatic acid to get the excess mortar off the pebbles? Any recommendations on how long to leave it on and how to neutralize it? Will it damage/stain the pebbles or the underlayment membrane?

Thanks
Unread 04-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Do you have any photos that you could upload? (paperclip icon in the reply page)

It's hard to know how high is too high without seeing photos.

edit: It's not unusual for the grout to be fuller than what the homeowner anticipates when it comes to pebbles. A mockup is always a good strategy to work out expectations ahead of time.

But this isn't something that would help you at this point.

I'd be very hesitant to use acid on the grout but I'll wait for others to chime in.

Why you should NOT buy a newly remodeled home ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Grumpy. Please change your permanent signature line to a first name for us to use.

You absolutely do not want to use Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid anywhere inside your home. Danger to persons and materials is far too great.

A photo of what you've got might help, as would some information on how your shower receptor was constructed.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
PetrH

It may be possible to grind and polish the pebble/grout combo. It will no longer have the same texture pecause you will be grinding the tops of the pebbles off, but it will retain the same look.
Unread 04-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I agree with the others, grinding and polishing with diamond pads would be a much better way than to use acid. Reaching the corners could be challenging.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
grumpyHomeowner

Picture

Here is the picture. Is there any hope for getting the pebbles more visible?
Attached Images

Unread 04-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #7
rmckee84

Honestly it looks like theres a shade too much grout and could have been cleaned a little better but overall thats kind of what you get with rounded pebbles.. The problem is if the grout is too shallow with rounded pebbles it can cause pooling and poor drainage.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 12:27 AM   #8
PetrH

there is a lot of grout haze, but otherwise it looks like the grout was done properly. If you wash the grout out more there is a good chance of getting little puddles in between.

You should start with mechanical abrasion, just a regular bristle brush or nail brush and some white vinegar, give it a good clean and then rinse with water.
Unread 04-02-2017, 02:16 AM   #9
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Depth looks not too bad. Any less grout and it could be an uncomfortable place to stand. How about a couple pics with the lights on to get a better feel.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #10
Kman

I can tell you from personal experience that you don't want it washed out any more than it is now. You'll find it very uncomfortable to stand on when the more prominent pebbles dig in to your feet. I'd leave it as is.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #11
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You could probably remove some of the grout haze, but it's hard to tell from your pictures.

When building a shower pan with pebbles like that, it usually helps to have a steeper pitch to the drain, but even then, if they stick up too much, you'll potentially get pooling and things won't drain well. Taking out a bunch of grout will also potentially weaken things, and you could pop loose some.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yeah, after looking at the picture, it doesn't look bad. A good cleaning is about all I would do to it. My feet hurt just looking at it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 04-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
grumpyHomeowner

These are tiny pebbles..

The picture is very close up. The pebbles are each about 1/4 of an inch in diameter. We had installed a pebble floor in another shower, ourselves, with larger 1 inch pebbles, and love it. (For those of you with sensitive feet, I grew up barefoot running on gravel, and rarely wear shoes.) So, most of the pebbles are completely buried. This is the product: small pebbles

Is muriatic acid damaging to pebbles? Besides the danger of using it (we would dilute it appropriately), rinse completely, etc, is it something that would damage these pebbles?

Thanks.

Last edited by grumpyHomeowner; 04-02-2017 at 12:11 PM.
grumpyHomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yeah, no doubt I have tender feet.

It really depends on the pebbles. It's possible the pebbles could have been installed a little closer together which would make for less grout but it's too late at this stage. Some pebbles we install are flatter than others which makes for a little different finished look after it's grouted. So it's easy to have had a different looking floor with your last install.

The fumes alone from muriatic acid can cause metal to rust, even if it doesn't come in contact with the metal. It is also bad on your lungs and skin. Use it at your own risk. That said, if you are going to use it, dilute it down to about 12 water to 1 acid, I wouldn't go any stronger than that. Let it dwell on the floor for a few minutes and rinse it well. I don't see it hurting the rocks but it's not good for the grout. If too strong, it will eat away the cement in the grout and leave nothing but the sand.

I'd start with straight vinegar like Petr said.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 04-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Will you post a picture of the floor from standing eye level?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase