Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 07-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
SirAngus

Sealer for White Marble Tile Backsplash and Granite Countrrop

Hello everyone. I have learned a lot here on the forums.

Quick and easy question. Is there a recommended sealer that I can use for both the white marble backsplash and a granite countertop. I am trying to take care of two objectives all at once. Thanks!!

Angus
Old 07-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
Lou_MA

Penetrating sealer like Miracle 511 impregnator.

Does the granite need to be sealed? Put a couple drops of water on it, and see if it soaks in. If it just beads up on the surface, sealer isn’t needed since it won’t be absorbed.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
SirAngus

Thanks much. The granite was sealed when it was installed. However, the installer did let me know that it would need another sealing. It is definitely not beading the water, which confirms your assessment.

I am prepping the walls at the moment, rerunning some electrical, and then will begin the backsplash project with some assistance.

I will be dealing the marble after installing the marble, but prior to the grout. Then I will seal it all again once the grout is in place and dried.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:53 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Angus.

What that installer told you is a standard line to tell everybody. Over many years and several hundred stone top installs, and spending a long time on this forum discussing stone with the stone restoration folks, l’ve learned that the average stone top installer generally hasn’t been taught anything about which stones actually need sealing and which don’t. What they said to you is the “safe” thing to tell everybody.

I’m afraid I’m going to have to disagree with our friend Lou on the water beading. Water beading on the surface just means that there’s something on the surface of the stone that is somewhat hydrophobic. While a surface like that doesn’t readily absorb water, it may very easily absorb a number of potentially staining oils that don’t have nearly the surface tension of water. Many oils can easily penetrate surfaces that water has a hard time doing the same. If you were to put a drop of oil on a freshly waxed car hood, you’ll quickly see that it doesn’t bead up at all. So, just because water beads on a stone countertop doesn’t necessarily mean it will retard the absorption of a potentially staining oil. And conversely, even the most dense granite that absorbs zero sealer and never, ever needs any sealing will not bead water. Sound a bit confusing? Yeah...that’s partially the nature of stone restoration...lots of info and somewhat confusing and somewhat conflicting logic to it all.

But do start with that test. Put a small puddle of water on the top and let it sit for awhile. Does the stone get darker? Yes or no? If yes, then you absolutely can benefit from a good quality sealer like Lou mentioned. If you know which stone you have, we may be able to give you some immediate additional info.

As far as the marble: what marble do you have? Generally speaking, polished marble has too dense a surface to absorb a sealer. It won’t hurt to try sealing. But your grout is very, very likely to benefit from sealing. In fact, you may want to consider applying the sealer at least twice to the grout. But do wait the appropriate cure time before sealing. Read your directions. Many will say something like 3 days. It if you can wait as much as 7, that’s even better.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
SirAngus

Hello,
I have attached a picture. It is sort of polished on one side and honed on the other.

Will it hurt anything if I just seal it anyways? I would hate to neglect a new granite countertop and backsplash. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #6
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Hi Angus - you can use either STONETECH Bulletproof Sealer or the STONETECH Heavy Duty Sealer for both of those surfaces. If they are honed go with Bulletproof. If they are high polished go with the Heavy Duty Sealer.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase