Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
Stainless:)

Stainless hot tub to concrete

Attachment 204617
I have this stainless hot tub tile install for the local pool, looking for ideas on bridging the joint from the concrete to stainless and appropriate adhesives. The stainless does have some flex when I stepped on it, and info would be great. Thanks,Rod btw, it's 8x8 tiles
Old 09-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Rod,

I'm not able to view your attachment. Says it's invalid. Maybe you can give us a little more info or a photo?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:52 AM   #3

Name:  DC5FC03D-2755-4115-8CC7-D8478110961C.jpeg
Views: 90
Size:  61.3 KB
Old 09-25-2018, 06:53 AM   #4

Name:  F66557A1-F42B-46BE-9470-5834A2B28C9E.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  48.5 KB
Old 09-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

How thick are the stainless steel tabs that you'll be tiling over?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:01 AM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Rod.

So, are you tiling up to the edge of the stainless? Or do you intend to actually install some portion of tile on top of the stainless?
Old 09-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #7

The tabs are thin, they actually have a anchor underneath them that those tabs are welded to. And now they doubled the amount of tabs. And they want the tile to go over the tabs and lower flange right to the edge of the tub. I think they could have incorporated something different to accept the tile but anyhow...
Old 09-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #8

Name:  2312694D-D8AF-46B3-A53A-9FAA42FB333C.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  67.9 KB
Old 09-26-2018, 07:04 AM   #9

For what it is , it's reasonable flat to the edge of the tub. I'm honestly not sure that there is an appropriate souloution. They have untill oct 1 before the pool re-opens. I'm just kinda getting thrown into it, I know the contractor and he knows this isn't ideal. I'm doubtful there is a guaranteed souloution for a long lasting install. I should have ran lol. The local supplier sent an Ardex primer for the stainless (can't remember the #) and 77 with an additive. It needs some sort of membrane to bridge the transition I'm thinking
Old 09-28-2018, 12:40 AM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

While I would likely tile over the little tabs if that was the totality of metal being covered by the tile.....I wouldn't consider tiling over the stainless panels. Between the fact that the stainless has a significantly different coefficient of linear expansion than the tile (which begs for a shear/debonding failure).....and the fact that there's flex to it (which begs for a deflection/crack failure).......you're just BEGGING for a tile failure that will financially fall on your shoulders. If you are the tiling expert and you accept this project, you're putting your "A-O-K" stamp on the process. You can't have them "sign a waiver" or something like that and expect to legally stay out of the mess when tiles crack and/or come loose. Or worse...someone cuts themselves on a cracked tile. If you tile this, it's "your" project and your responsibility to produce a product that is safe and has an acceptably long service life to it.

Even if I was really hurting for work (especially if I was hurting for work), I wouldn't do this project without a method called out for you on a set of official plans from an architect/designer/engineer. There's no reason for the tile guy to take the brunt of a failure waiting to happen because someone came up with a project that's not technically feasible. I don't mean to judge the folks that came up with this plan so far. They likely have no idea of the problem they've produced. It's only a few days before October 1st. This takes us to the old saying: A lack of planning on their part shouldn't constitude an emergency on your part.

But there might be a solution using different materials. Perhaps they can have some solid suface material like Corian cut into ~12" wide strips x 10' long and have them adhered with beads of silicone. This would afford a lot more movement flexibility. The strips could bridge the tile on the floor to the vertical sides of the tub.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #11
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Wow, that's a bunch of stainless. Can't say I've ever seen a stainless hot tub before. Looks like something I remember seeing in a cheese factory.

I don't think I'd attempt to tile it directly, either. It's surely going to have some significant differential movement. I'd be looking at "floating" something in that space. Flamed stone, teak or even tile sort of panelized onto a substrate, although that seems risky too.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #12
cx
Da Home Builder

Not only a bunch of stainless steel, Peter, but one with nice sharp steel corners on an appliance designed to be used by wet people and entered and exited on a wet tile floor. Wonder what part of the damages will be assessed the tile contractor in the lawsuit by the customer who falls getting in or out of that thing.

Design by the Darwin Awards Group.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase