Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
rosebay

Tiling bath surround

I am replacing tile in my bath surround. I will be taking the tile all the way to the ceiling. The previous installation was drywall with chicken wire/mortar bed. I am replacing that with duroc with waterproofing, and marble tile. The ceiling will remain painted.

My question: Do I have to tape and mud the seam between the ceiling and duroc? I would prefer just to run the duroc all the way to the ceiling, and then add tile and seal with caulking at the wall/ceiling seam. I have never been able to get the hang of drywall finishing, so would prefer to avoid that.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Anita.

If your work is to be permitted and inspected by your code compliance jurisdiction, you may find that it is required that you tape and fill that joint. That's part of the fire code in many jurisdictions.

As far as setting your tile is concerned, you don't need the joint finished before setting your tile.

I would caution you to check to see just how level your ceiling is before you settle on your tile layout.

You might also want to type marble shower into our Advanced Search feature and have a look at some of the threads you'll find there. May influence your decision on installing marble tile in your shower.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I like to add blocking between the studs at the ceiling and nail my paper and lath to it, or in your case cement board.

What Cx said about marble.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
rosebay

Panic - I've already purchased the marble tile, but I believe there is time to cancel. Can someone share what the issues are?
Old 11-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Try the search I mentioned above, Anita. You'll see the potential problems quickly enough.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Anita.

Two of the bigger problems with marble are:
Its polished surface may be rather delicate. A single exposure to the wrong bathroom cleaner and you can inadvertently etch it. The resulting microscopic damage looks like a dull spot. And it can only really be fixed with a rather expensive re-polishing by a pro with expensive equipment.

Second, stone may absorb moisture and result in a dark “damp spot”. The bad part is that the moisture is in the subsurface...so it’s not easy to get rid of.
Between these two problems that pop up with varying frequency depending on known factors and unfortunately unknown stone quality factors, it’s worth talking about up-front. Most customers heed the warning and switch to a marble look-a-like porcelain tile that drastically improves durability and decreases moisture absorption (to less than 0.5%).

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
ave8er

I just did a marble tub surround. I did the same as you, I bought the material and didn’t want to change. I am hoping sealing it well will help. It looks amazing.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
makethatkerdistick

That's the crux. Marble is among the most beautiful natural stones out there (at least for me). No porcelain or ceramic look-alike will ever fool the eye completely for those who know the difference. BUT it can be problematic.
If you don't want to completely remove marble from your considerations, you could put it where the water doesn't directly hit it, i.e. in the upper half of the shower, and tile the rest with a ceramic or porcelain tile. I've done a wide accent marble border in one of my showers and I love the look and don't have to worry (too) much about water exposure.

Different marbles can have different issues. For instance, some white marbles have iron deposits inside the stone that will oxidize from constant water exposure, leaving ugly rust spots that can't be removed.

I've heard that the quality of marble increases the closer to Italy or Greece it is mined but I am not sure whether that's just anecdotal. Fact is that there are some high-quality Italian and Greek marble stones out there. I've even seen quite a few at my local Floor & Decor. Amazing stuff but pricey.

What do you value more? The stunning looks vs. long-term ease of maintenance? Many things to consider... Also, if this is your first tile project, natural stone is a bit harder to install than your typical ceramic tile.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:44 PM   #9
rosebay

Thank you all very much for your help. I was able to cancel the marble order and switched to ceramic. And, because of this forum I'm also going to go the Kerdi route.

I remember lurking on this forum 15 years ago (can't believe it's been that long) when I did my last bathroom remodel. I think that experience, combined with actually taking advice this time, will result in a much better product
Old 11-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #10
workhurts

With drywall finishing, less is more. Even if you have to do 4-5 layers. That beats sanding.

Also, lots of light at shallow angles. If you see it. If you feel it. You'll see it when you paint.

However, if you do that and take your time with a bright work light or two casting shadows from different angles chances are under normal light conditions it'll look perfect.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
rosebay

Kerdi outside corner

Hello,

I'm going Kerdi as a result of advice from this forum. Thank you - excited about the finished product.

Question about how to treat an outside corner.

I have a common setup with bathtub in an alcove. It has an outside corner - I plan to tile around the corner. Previous installation was just drywall with corner bead and paint - tile did not extend around the corner.

I've removed all of the drywall in the alcove and will be replacing with cbu. Cbu will meet drywall at the outside corner.

My question - should I just use kerdi tape around the corner? I believe I read I should apply kerdi fix to the intersection of drywall and cbu, but unsure if this is over-kill.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #12
Lou_MA

If the wet area doesn’t extend to / around the corner, I wouldn’t bother with wrapping it in Kerdi.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #13
rosebay

Gap between bathtub and walls

I have a cast iron bathtub from about 1970, installed into an alcove. There is a gap between the lip of the bathtub and the wall framing. In addition, the bathtub lip is not perpendicular, (like many photos and illustrations I've seen) - it's curved.

This Old House indicates the correct way to install cbu is on top of the lip, then kerdi over that. However, this means the bottom row of tile will be at an angle. If I do the method where the cbu is installed over the lip, then the cbu will be installed at a slight angle.

What do I do in this case? With cbu against the framing the lip will be protruding. With cbu installed over the lip - you can see it will need to be about 1/2" from the wall

I've attached photos to try and illustrate the issue.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #14
speed51133

can't you shim out that gap?
Old 12-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #15
rosebay

Hi, do you mean using actual shims? added between the hardibacker and the framing?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase