Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
gregory99

Kohler Cast iron shower pan install

Hey Guys,

I read through a number of posts regarding the installation of cement board with the kohler cast iron pan. Right now my cement board is sitting as per the instructions from Kohler (below). The cement board sits this way on all 3 sides. I only realized there was an issue when someone looked at my bathroom and suggested the tile will not look right if I leave it this way. Someone suggested moving the cement board into the pan leaving it 1/8" from the floor but that will require I use furring strips to move the cement board out from the walls. This will really make a mess in the bathroom as the drywall will no longer meet outside of the shower area.

As I see it, the only way to make the walls meet up properly is to use furring strips around all of the bathroom walls. Is there anyway around this?

After searching the web, I did find a finished job that seems to have the tiles all the way into the pan.(below) Has anyone had success following a different method of installing this pan?

Thanks,
Greg
Attached Images

Unread 05-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
bbcamp

Greg, I know of only 2 ways to do this: Kohler's way or furring the studs to put the backerboard inside the flange. Do it Kohler's way and rely on a single line of caulk, or fur the studs and have your waterproofing overlap into the pan, giving you several barriers for water control.

Yes, if you fur, the end wall that continues out into the bathroom will have an offset unless you also fur out the remaining section of wall, too. You can get creative to hide the offset or decorate it and call it a feature.

All this presumes that notching the studs and sliding the pan over is not doable.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
gregory99

Thanks Bob. I will have to think about furring out the wall or just using a chair rail and hoping it eats up enough of the height to make it look normal. Unfortunately, the pan can't be moved.
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
reed

greg, i to have the same problem but another problem is getting the shower door to sit flush with the tile wall and the bottom corner of the receptor. is there a certain door that fits better than another . sorry to jump in on the thread but looking for fixes before i start my project thanks
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
gregory99

I plan on using the Kohler Fluence Bypass doors - K-702217-L. I have seen them setup with the salient receptor and the instructions include directions on how to measure with curves in the corners. Not sure if this is what you are looking for.
Unread 05-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
reed

greg i'd like to know what set up you went with and how it turned out. i'm not sure what set up to use . not starting my project till july , but i want to get a game plan together . i only have a small 5ft. x 9 ft. bathroom with a 30x60 receptor on the back wall but it's my 1st. one and don't want to screw it up. thanks for any insight
Unread 05-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

I know what Kohler recommends with their installation instructions, and I know what the drawing shows, but I would NOT recommend following their recommendations regarding that seam.

If your tile prep and installation follows industry standards, then one needs to fur the wall, run the tile waterproofing onto the flange and sealing it, and overlapping the waterproofing with the tile and sealing the tile to the receptor. With this method you have 2 sealant barriers and 'shingle style' overlaps on the various layers.

That seam between the receptor and the walls is the one that sees the most abuse from water, and the way Kolhler recommends putting it together makes it a very weak point in your installation.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase