Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
bender123

making and tiling a half column

hi
I'm pretty much a newbie, although with advice from the forum last year we very successfully completed our first bathroom. Now we are involved in our second. When we removed the service wall adjacent to our bathtub we are left with a 6 inch drain/vent pipe adjacent to the back wet wall. Because its a small bathroom I don't want to move the wall forward to cover the pipe, nor have the pipe moved due to the expense, so my only choice is to cover it up. I want to create a half column like cover over the pipe, which i would tile with mosaic tile. I've considered several alternatives, but am not sure what would work. They are:
cut a 6" PVC pipe in half lengthwise (seems like a really difficult task)
cut a 6 inch concrete tube forms lengthwise, cover with wire mesh and thinset (man at my local tile store said this would not be rigid enough)
buying a half column (expensive)

any advice as how to proceed would be very greatly appreciated !!!!!!
daryl
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
bbcamp

I suppose a square or retangular column doesn't fit the decor.

How about cutting some plywood half circles, say 5 or 6, then ripping some 1/2" plywood to strips 1" wide and making a sort of lath-like frame. Staple 2.5 diamond lath to it, than apply a scratch coat of fat mud, and follow with a finish coat of fat mud.

I expect the top and bottom half circle can be screwed to the ceiling and floor, and you could install cleats on the wall to support 3 or 4 more at equal intervals between ceiling and floor. The "lath" strips would be space with a minimal gap between them. You could use a planer or belt sander to ease the corners and help shape the form, but I think the mud will be thick enough to make than un-necessary. Cut a u-shaped piece of plywood to the outside diameter and use it as a screed to make your fat mud uniformly round top to bottom. Cut a couple of strips and mount them on the wall to act as a guides for the plywood screed.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Daryl.

A six-inch drain/waste/vent pipe? That would be exceeding unusual in any residential application familiar to moi, 4" being the customary maximum.

You got maybe a picher of this situation you could post for us? We like pichers.

Biggest difficulty I see is incorporating whatever treatment you decide upon for your pipe into your shower pan plan. Have you decided what sort of shower waterproofing you'll use?

Fella can rip PVC pipe, but tiling to it may be another story. Not much likes to stick to the stuff effectively.

The cardboard tube and metal lath idea would suit me fine so long as you use at least a half-inch of fat mud over it rather than thinset mortar. The cardboard needn't be more than strong enough to provide a form for the mud.

But you might could just install some roofing felt around the pipe, then lath and mud over that.

Mudding a round surface isn't as easy as it might sound, though. Is there maybe a way to box in the pipe and incorporate that into a niche design and make the whole thing a "feature"?

My opinion; worth price charged.

OK, Bob, I'll just go to work instead if you're gonna wax rapid this morning.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
bbcamp

I got a section of 6" PVC in my shop. I used some of it (and a couple more lengths) as a sleeve for 2 1-1/2" insulated pipes I buried in my yard this spring. It may be 8 feet long, but I won't swear to it.

If you want it, come get it.
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hello Daryl,
Look into using Schluter System's new Kerdi-Board-V. It's pre-groved for exactly the purpose you are looking to resolve. Contact Schluter directly to find out who, if anyone, in your area is planning to stock this. If no one in your area is stocking it, you can probably order a sheet through Master Wholesale (800-938-7925), here in Seattle. I know that they will be stocking the entire line AND they are already set up to ship Schluter products nation-wide.

http://www.schluterkerdiboard.com/ke...rd-v_2591.aspx

Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Square pusher

What Shaugnn said.

Although it may be hard to get, as this product has just been launched.

I guess it depends on your local distributors.
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
bender123

boy already some great advice. The kerdi board sound particularly intriguing. I am going to see my local dealer that carries kerdi has it. Also I guess I am even more of a newbie than I thought, several people mentioned fat mud and I don't have a clue what that is.
Unread 06-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
bbcamp

Fat mud is the same as mason's mortar, or brick mortar. Sand, Portland cement, and some hydrated lime to make it sticky. You'll need it for a curb if you do a traditional PVC liner shower.
Unread 06-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

hi Daryl,
I just confirmed today that the product shipped to my local distributor (mentioned above) already and will arrive in his warehouse this Friday.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
bender123

checked with the store in my area that carries kerdi, and while this product would be perfect and they could order it for me, the cost would be prohibitive ( $75 for one 2.5 x8' sheet, and another 75 for shipping. They suggested i order a piece of kerdi board ($60) and make the slits myself. Said they just went to a seminar and this was suggested to them. I am afraid of spending the $60, and then screwing it up. I am going to go back to my cement tube and lathe plan
daryl

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase