Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
bayton

Red face Master bath remodel

I am rerodeling my master bath and have some questions.
The floor is concrete.
Steam shower 4' x 6' : a) the orig. drain is cast iron at slab level. I will feather a pre-slope up to approx. 1". Should I add wire mesh under pre-slope? b) old water source is 1/2" copper. There are 1/2" copper lines in slab next to new shower wall which was used for a bidet but no longer needed. Can I use these lines as new water source ? If so can I then use the old hot water line for the steam generator (located in attic). c) What is the min. threshold hight that I can get by with? d) I have 10' ceiling. The entire front wall will be glass. I will have a 12" transom over the shower door. This means there will be a 6' x 2 1/2' glass across the top. I have a vent very near the transom. Will this be sufficient or should I consider adding a vent in the shower also? e) The entire shower will be lined with cement board. I have the option of tile or skimmcoat on the shower ceiling. I will also line the entire shower with Kirdi membrain. What are pros / cons for ceiling?
Bath tub : The drain is 2" abs. I need to run the new drain at a 90 deg.for about 2' to get to the new tub drain. I have already made the hole into the slab. My problem is this: at one end of the 2" is a T (which is under the slab) and the other is a 90 which went into the p-trap. The 2" is approx 4" long and has a larger piece of pipe (cut in half into u shape) glued to the bottom (I guess as a stiffener). The guy at the big store told me to just cut the 90 at the collar where it is guled and add a 2" rubber coupling and clamp at that point. I did this but not sure this is the right way to go. Do I have any other options as there are no other places to connect new fittings?
I hope I didn't confuse you too much.
Thanks for your advice.
bayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Kerdi is to be considered a system, and that includes the drain. CBU is spec'ed for commercial steam showers, is fine for residential, but usually is not needed and drywall can be used. You need the entire shower to have a Kerdi membrane, so that means tiling the ceiling.

You'll need to dig down in the slab to replace the drain, and while you are at it, it may not be a bad idea to replace the p-trap.

Schluter is developing an adapter to some clamping drains for their drain, but they are not ready yet, nor does it work with all brands (they mentioned three, don't remember which). The adapter right now is being developed for some CI drains.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase