Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
WRENCHHEAD

Master Bath Remodel

Remodel going good . Tub installed,vapor barrier in, durock on floors and walls.
I need help on a few tile layouts:

(1) Can I tile all walls and floor before I set vanity than caulk around vanity
(2) I plan to lay 12x12 on diagonal for floors. How do I start the first tile once I set my lay out lines.(put the points on the lines at the intersection or not).
(3) I want to tile half way up the walls with a 2x2 trim tile and a bull nose cap.
do I run the tile on the same pattern into the shower or do I treat the shower on its own with bull nose to seperate the two patterns.
(4) How do I secure corner shelves, do I lay them as I run the wall tile out than trim around shelf during the next row.
thanks for the help

I am still waiting for my book , I was hoping the answers would be in there.
WRENCHHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-18-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

1 You can do is that way if the floor is pretty level.2You can do it that way, i just like to make sure i don't have any tiny button cuts, or the walls out of square and a small cut shows it.You could drylay and see how things work before you start mudding them.3I prefer not to lay field tile and bullnose up against each other, cause it looks funny,but to keep the same look of the field, you can cut field tiles to the shape of the bullnose so it looks like it continues.4 I like to cut my shelves so the top is even with the grout line to give it a clean line on top. I also notch my shelves 3/8 by 1" on both sides so it fits even and doesn't have a gap, in other words the notch in the wall doesn't come all the way to the end of the shelf, but is held back a half inch and the shelf is notched so there is a clean small line at each side. This is especially helpful if you have to cut the shelf in at a later time.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
WRENCHHEAD

davestone, thanks for the replies. I am confused about the shelf. Are you saying the cbu has to be notched before I install the shelf than notch the shelf. Also to keep the top grout lines even that means I would have to cut around the shelf with the bottom tile row. The shelf is really large corner soap dish
WRENCHHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi, Please give us a first name.

You can cut the shelf in either way. Just depends on how high you want it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 07:00 AM   #5
Unregistered

sorry first name is Doug. John I got your book , great reading. I have a question on out side corners. You said to use re-enforced tape.Do you mean the tape with the metal strips in the center.

thanks, doug

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase