Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
goddard

exterior tile over living space?

I'm in the preparation stage for a home addition that will partially consist of a screened in porch (slated to get porcelain tile installed) on the main house level. As part of this addition the basement will be extended and turned into living quarters.

The screened portion of the porch will have a solid exterior wall on the lower ~3ft. I don't expect the floor to get much more than slightly wet, even in a strong storm.

It is obvious that to be 100% safe I will need to include some kind of waterproof membrane in the tile installation on the screened in porch. Should I go with a painted on, troweled, or CPE membrane. Or, is Ditra as cheap or cheaper than a combination of backerboard and membrane?

Thanks,

Jay
goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-06-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
bbcamp

Schluter would like to speak with anyone who wants to use Ditra on an exterior deck over living space. It's not recommended as shown in their website, but maybe they have other cards up their sleeves.

Most, if not all, backerboards are not rated for exterior use. That kinda leaves you with mud. And the waterproof membrane.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #3
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Jay I think they'll have you add 1/2" CBU over a plywood sublfloor before you install the Ditra. Then Kerdi Band to all athe Ditra seams. Your greatest potential leak spot is at the far left & far right where the edge of the deck joins the house. This needs to be flashed in a very professional manner to avoid leaks. Make sure to call them first like Bob said.
Don't forget to plan for your slope, 1/4"/ft. Also plan how the water will drain, either over the edge with "L" flashing under the tile (like schluter Bara), or to a central floor drain like a shower.
If it will be outside at all then you'll have to plan that someday someone will turn the hose on it to wash it off, so there's no such thing as an exterior tile floor that only gets a tiny bit of water -- plan for the worst.
Unread 01-07-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jay,

I agree that the slope is important. People don't like to do it, but that's how it is even though you won't be getting constant weather in there. You have to plan for the unusual, because it will happen. Remember Murphy?

As Tom says, the details will kill you in the end. Flashings, edge treatments, etc. are extremely important. This is important no matter which waterproofing system you choose.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase