Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Leah F.
Leah

CPE bunching at drain

Name:  IMG_0831-3.JPG
Views: 5345
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0836-3.JPG
Views: 5389
Size:  35.9 KB
Hi,

I am Leah and someone is installing their first shower pan for me in my shower. Here is a photo of the CPE at the sub drain. My installer laid a 1/4 sloped morter bed beneath atop of a 3/4 in. plywood on top of our wood subfloor. He is referring to the Michael Byrne book "Setting Tile". My concern is where the CPE is bunching around the circumference of the drain.

Also, do the holes in the flange of the drain look like they will allow water to seep out?

Does my installer needs to redo something here? If so, how would he proceed? Would he need to cut away the bunched material and reapply the CPE flat over the drain?

I am grateful for any advice from your friendly forum.

Leah
Leah F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
bbcamp

Looks like he cut the liner too tight around the fitting and stretched it. Take the top part off and cut away the liner a little at a time around the fitting until the material relaxes.

It does look like the liner covers the weep holes. I'm not sure they won't work that way, but it is easy to fix.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I don't know what the blue stuff is but it looks like he may have put it under there to form a gasket for a good seal. Then, when the bolts were tightened, it forced it out under the liner. If that's what it is, he put way too much. I would take it all apart and clean it up.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Leah F.
Leah

Dear Bob and Davy,

Thank you so much for your replies, I was so relieved that it wasn't a difficult problem to fix. When I told my installer that I had put the question up to your forum, he was very worried that the answer would be to tear it all out and start over again.

The installer said that the CPE did not bunch up until he put the top flange on, so I asked him to do as Bob suggested to take the top part off and press the CPE material flat. Installer had no problem getting it flat before reinstalling the top flange. While he was at it, he cut away the CPE where it was bunching up into the weep holes.

Also, he had made the reinforcement layer too small a diameter and that was mucking up the works because it was curling up on the edge of the flange, so I asked him to remove it and not to bother putting on a new one. Yes, I'd say he was using way too much blue stuff (Noble sealant) so after he removed the reinforcement layer, he cleaned all the blue stuff off the CPE before he put the top flange back on.

The water test succeeded and the project has moved on--whew!

Have a great weekend. Thanks for being there for us newbies.

Leah
Unread 01-31-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
bbcamp

Thanks for the feedback, Leah!
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Leah F.
Leah

How long and how much to tile a small shower?

Hello there,

I have a 3 ft. x 3 ft. shower with three walls and a 6" tall dam. There is a valve, an ell, and a fixed shower head. The shower is on the ground floor and the tile are basic Daltile 4" x 4" ceramic tiles. There'll be a 6" tall mosaic ribbon and the same mosaic on the shower floor. The mosaic is made of porcelin 1" tiles.

My inexperienced installer has been thinsetting the tile for 4 full days now, yet is less than one-quarter done. Because there were so many unknowns up to the tiling, I have been paying him a daily rate, but now he is at a point where I do not think it is fair to me to pay him on an hourly basis, especially since I suspect that he is taking a very long time on the tiling.

Can anyone tell me how many days would it take a moderately experienced professional tile installer to thinset (before grout) the shower that I described? Is there a going daily rate or are these projects usually a fixed price? I am in Southern California.

Assuming the studs are plumb and fixtures are in, does anyone know the going price to waterproof, hardiback, and tile my shower by a good professional in Southern California?

Thank you for any thoughts you might have and please let me know if this an appropriate question for this forum.

Leah
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Interior Tile Solutions

Usually a small shower takes about 3 1/2 to 4 days.

Day 1 - Install shower pan, durock, waterproofing and then mud pack
Day 2 - Install tile on shower floor
Day 3 - Tile the walls
Day 4 - Grout

I price showers out according as to what's all involved, never a fixed price.

Your Friendly Neighborhood TileMan Making Your Tiling Dreams Come True One Piece At A Time...

https://www.houzz.com/pro/interiorti...tions/__public

Last edited by Interior Tile Solutions; 02-11-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Interior Tile Solutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
My Dream

Robert, I'll assume your time line is for an experienced tile setter?

Last edited by My Dream; 02-11-2011 at 12:54 PM.
My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Interior Tile Solutions

My Dream - Yes, an experienced tile setter..

An unexperienced person should take no longer than 7 days.

Your Friendly Neighborhood TileMan Making Your Tiling Dreams Come True One Piece At A Time...

Unread 02-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Leah F.
Leah

How long and how much to tile

Thanks for your replies, so far.

Oh dear, I don't even want to say how many days more than the 7 days my unexperienced installer has taken (and how many days we have been without a shower)! He is charging $105.00 per day, so at 7 days, my shower would cost $800.00. Is that more than average or less than an average labor price of a new ceramic tile shower installation from pan to grout? Isn't here a price range for my So Cal region assuming no issues with tiles that are 4x4 but a simple design?

Leah
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
My Dream

Am I reading correctly that you believe it will take a total of 8 days to complete the shower install? $105.00 X 8 = $840.00. If that's the case and you're happy with the quality of work then I don't think that is a really high price. I'm from Canada so I shouldn't really comment but it's in my nature. Would have been nice to pay the same price and have it done in 4 but that's a moot point now.
Unread 02-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

The tiles themselves are an important part of the price. Got a pic of those tiles? Name? manufacturer? There are some days where we have 2 men working 8 hours to lay 2 square feet.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
Shawn Prentice

$105 per day? Are you kidding? I'm guessing he is not licensed, not insured, doesn't pay taxes, i.e. he is operating his business illegally. Nobody, I mean nobody, in business for themselves can be legitimate working for $105/day.
Unread 02-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Who could actually run a legitimate business, pay taxes, and support a family on $105 a day!

If you had gotten a upfront bid from a licensed, insured, experienced tile setter you would have paid a lot more. But you would have a shower that will not leak, look really good, and be completed a lot faster, and you would have been supporting the legitimate local economy.

Edit- What Shawn said while I was slowly typing

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
Interior Tile Solutions

Your getting a very good deal if you get a good job that is done right, but for a professional licensed contractor that would be considered a slap in the face...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase