Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 07-27-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
RandyL
Tile Setter

Send a message via Yahoo to RandyL
Sealed Slip Joint

Looking at steam room spec in TCA handbook , it shows a sealed slip joint and calls for them in all corners. Anyone know what exactly they are? I was hoping to get an answer tommorrow morning but if not ,no problemo.

Thanks!

I FEAR NO BEER! (except Grolsh....yuck)
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-27-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

My understanding has been that the sealed slip joint was only required at the wall/ceiling junction, Randy. The way it's worded in the Handbook could lead a fella to think it's required at wall plane intersections, too, but I don't think that's the case.

It is also my understanding that the joint is stuffed with backer rod if necessary and caulked.

Ain't never done one, just listened to the big guys talkin' about it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 05:36 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I think it's a normal joint where one plane of tile goes behind the other. More TCA jibberish. Sometimes those guys sit around the table and create new words and terms.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 05:48 AM   #4
RandyL
Tile Setter

Send a message via Yahoo to RandyL
HA..........gibberish........ Just looks like a backer rod to me too CX. that's what I'll be calling it today. I'm doing a steam shower obviously. Ceiling was pitched 2" per foot. I also did some searching and found that it takes roughly 45 minutes for water to start dripping down on you if the ceiling is flat......FLAT.......... So I would think that in a residential setting 2" may really not be necessary. 45 minutes is a long time. I remember being in a sauna once and was good for about 5 minutes then I had to stagger out of there.
THis got me thinking. MAybe someone could invent a special pot or something to put in the steam shower this way you can steam your veggies at the same time. What do ya's think? Is it a winner..............................patent pending...........

I FEAR NO BEER! (except Grolsh....yuck)
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 06:27 AM   #5
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

All the steam showers I build these days are flat tops. I started doing it that way mainly because my customers were concerned with how it might look with bigger, odd shaped showers. Nobody has had a problem with condensation dripping, and when your are in the shower, you're going to get wet anyway.

1/8 inch gap between all CBU joints, wall corners and celling. Fill the gap with 100% silicone.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase