Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #1
pjhills

Help...questions waterproofing & floor, pan, etc.

Help...questions waterproofing & floor, pan, etc

Thank you in advance. I have two showers /bath that are in the process of being done. I live in a condo 2nd floor.

Originally I wished the guest bath to be a curbless shower for when a wheelchair bound family member visits. They were able to do this...which I am not unhappy with except for the concerns of waterproofing or lack thereof & now a water hammer in the completed shower & I don't believe a 40 mil liner was used, a lesser plastic sheet may have been used they said. I purchased the other new when they ask about the old liner & so installed the new over the old behind Durarock. In guest shower this was not the case.

The installers have said repeatedly they are using cement & it is stronger & when I ask about corners/gaps in edges they say not to worry they are using cement & will fill with cement. Cement is mas duro (a/k/a) stronger. They said they don't need the tape with the cement & larger format tiles... It is not my profession....I just wish to have a installation safe for my neighbors & some longevity.

I don't want to be creating an issue, if this is acceptable...but from everything I've seen there are other methods (maybe this is okay? Or maybe outdated?) Idk

They have worked very hard put up Durarock. I am happy with their layout thus far except a slight gap at the ceiling that was a bit of a challenge...they said because of the large tiles & the ceilings (?)

I tried attaching some photos but it said securitytoken missing. I've asked work to stop until I have more clarification.

They had positive reviews, thus felt good about the agreement...& I am a bit of a worry wart & allergic to mold...(I am sure my condo neighbors are also...) ????*?????? don't want to demo two showers if not okay & a risk... I of course will feel bad if I am wrong...I just got a bit afraid when looking at the behind aspects. My concerns only upset that I questioned...but rather be sure okay, than not.

If I am wrong, please let me know...& if there is a waterproof concrete process for these areas that I'mnot aware?....(corners & seams, etc?)

I've seen versabond & sakcrete bags & some caulking....no film or liquid & no 40mil pan liner in front shower, but it is pretty...afraid... Hopefully my fears are for not...of which case I'll be embarrassed, but sleep better at night...

Thank you sooooooo much!

Thank you in advance.
Unread 06-26-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, PJ.
The installers have said repeatedly they are using cement & it is stronger & when I ask about corners/gaps in edges they say not to worry they are using cement & will fill with cement.Good bit I don't understand in your descriptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ
I don't believe a 40 mil liner was used, a lesser plastic sheet may have been used they said. I purchased the other new when they ask about the old liner & so installed the new over the old behind Durarock.
There are essentially two primary methods of constructing a tiled shower receptor. One is the traditional method, using a sloped mortar bed, a 40mil PVC or CPE liner, and a second mortar bed to which tile is bonded. The other is the use of a single sloped mortar bed (or foam piece these days) and a direct bonded waterproofing liner to which the tile is bonded.

In remodel work, where a curbless shower is desired, the traditional method is seldom a suitable choice. From your description, however, I can't tell just what you might have. It could be a perfectly good installation, or something all together unacceptable. Photos would certainly help here. Not sure why you would not be able to attach photos from storage on your computer using the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box, if that's what you tried to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ
The installers have said repeatedly they are using cement & it is stronger & when I ask about corners/gaps in edges they say not to worry they are using cement & will fill with cement.
If you are talking about use of grout in the tile surface, that is incorrect. The ceramic tile industry requires the use of a flexible sealant in tile joints any place the backing material makes a change of plane. If you're talking about something else, disregard my comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ
They said they don't need the tape with the cement & larger format tiles...
If you are talking about the joints in the CBU panels, that is completely incorrect. If you're talking about something else, disregard again.

I think it was wise for you to stop the construction if you're unclear about the process and the contractor can't answer your questions. But for now, I'll need to wait for some clarity about exactly what is being done and photos would go a long way toward that end.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #3
pjhills

Thank you so much! A bit Greek to me...but I tried to post photos again to your reply & it said security token missing, please contact administrator...which I emailed earlier. They are photos from my phone...they may be too large.

It did do one upload. This is the Master in progress.
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #4
pjhills

Photo 2
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #5
pjhills

The niche area
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2022, 06:14 PM   #6
pjhills

Existing curbing double liner (old/new)
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2022, 06:16 PM   #7
pjhills

Don't know why they are rotating....opposite edges/curbing
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2022, 06:18 PM   #8
pjhills

Ceiling gap that didn't exist before...but they mentioned because of larger tile & maybe pvc moulding.
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2022, 06:20 PM   #9
pjhills

Not sure if you can just go over this or?
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2022, 06:32 PM   #10
pjhills

The finished guest bath with the water hammer, that is the only one functional at the moment. Except for the fear of waterproofing or lack of & the water hammer being with the new valve, fixture, piping...I feel came out well. A bit of gap at the ceiling, but overall love the layout, tile, etc. The inside he did a slant for opposite wheelchair entry/exit...

One wall may have to also come out for the valve...or possibly through a/c closet...but not much space.

If one wall is compromised how does that work with the floor & other walls?

Soooooo many questions when you don't do this everyday & a lifetime type of investment. Don't want to be a crazy person...but then I see other examples & not sure what is the standard for safety & assurance? They say each works differently...but it is a bit different from what I've seen.

Guest bath a cement curb was made with marble threshold & not sure the inside edging...maybe the versabond pro?

Thanks again! ????????*??
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2022, 06:34 PM   #11
pjhills

Another of the guest
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2022, 08:14 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

No wall waterproofing is a major fail. Worse still is the mechanical fasteners holding the CBU on the top and inside of the curb. That alone is a do-over in my book.

Can't tell whether either shower has a proper pre-slope under the waterproof liner. The lack thereof is also cause for a re-do.

I thought you said one of the showers was to be curbless. I think I see a curb in the photos for both showers. Not so?

I can't tell what we're looking at in post #9.

I can't tell what stage the floor is in in post #10.

The water-hammer issue is the plumber's responsibility. Did the tile guys do the plumbing as well?

I think you have serious issues there. Was this work properly permitted and were required inspections conducted?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2022, 09:49 PM   #13
pjhills

Post #10 photo is of the new pan before tiling pebble tile.

The installer requested the edges I thought maybe grout finish as it was rectified...but willing to do whatever needed, as it is not my skillet.

He/they couldn't go any lower on the shower because of the drain.

The hoa with in the same foot print of existing didn't require. I actually went to the county to ask for one to help with the differences get resolved, as not my skill set, & resolve concerns & I couldn't...it would have to be a GC.

So on that mission asap.. I had no idea so many variables & I think others don't know either as many 5 star reviews.

The Tile Professional aren't not required to be licensed here, but they are required to be insured.

Thank you for your time, professional consideration.

It is an investment & I guess a further investment forthcoming. It has to be done properly.

As an outside person just learning a little more of the guidelines that is not at all familiar as the products aren't either. It was a lot to get past the variables on tiles, etc.

It started that I was just trying to replace a shower door & they had to notch the trim & many didn't want to touch the trim with compromise to the rest...the new door in master & shower trim started then consideration was given if that the the family member that has to get a hotel to shower when they visit, etc...????????????

I've been reading on this forum & grateful for the input! Thank you!
Unread 06-26-2022, 09:50 PM   #14
pjhills

Skill set...auto correct error

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase