Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-23-2022, 11:46 AM   #1
RinSF

Tiling over drywall?

Hi, I've tiled over cement board before, but never drywall...wanted to make sure I didn't screw things up.

Some of the drywall will be new, some previously painted. Also, this isn't high stakes, just tiling around a garage sink.

1. How well do I need to tape the new corners? I mean, they're getting a big layer of thinset on them, will it suffice to just embed the tape in 1 coat of mud, or do I need multiple coats?

2. My thought was then to scuff up the previously painted drywall, then prime everything before tiling...is that correct?

3. Any special thinset needed for drywall? I think I used Versabond previously.

4. For that matter, would a pre-mixed thinset would suffice? I can't deny it would be much easier to not deal with mixing up thinset and rushing. FWIW, tiles are 4x16.

Thanks so much for your help-
Robert
Unread 02-23-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
Kman

Welcome back, Robert.

1. If you have some mesh tape, you could coat it at the same time you set tile. That would probably hold together well enough.

2. That would work. I probably wouldn't bother priming it, but it can't hurt.

3. Versabond would be fine.

4. Not a big fan of it, but it does have its applications. I've used it in kitchens a number of times. If it's a small area and it's worth the extra $15 or so to not have to mix up mortar, I'd use it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2022, 03:31 PM   #3
RinSF

Thanks so much for your help, and one additional question if I could:

One of the outside corners I'm tiling over was previously covered with metal corner bead. They never mudded or taped over it, so it's literally still metal on the outside (although painted previously).

Can I just tile over this, or would it be preferable to put a layer of paper and mud on there?

My only concern was just adhesion and making sure the tiles stick well. I could certainly scuff it with some sandpaper to give the thinset something to bite into.

Thanks again
Unread 02-24-2022, 03:38 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Robert.

Exposed metal corner bead as a finished wall corner? Not sure I can envision that. A photo maybe?

You can get away with most anything in a garage backsplash application, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2022, 05:29 PM   #5
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

With a 4" X 16" tile, I wouldn't worry about tiling over the top of a corner bead, on a backsplash installation, in a garage. But, yea, scuff up the paint a bit I would.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2022, 06:29 PM   #6
RinSF

Thanks for your help...and for CX, just including a photo. As you can see on the right corner there, they'd just left the metal bead exposed. It's a garage so they obviously didn't care, I'm just trying to make things less of an eyesore. (You should have seen the sink I ripped out ).

Anyhow, I figured I could simply go over things with a 1/4" trowel of thinset, but just wanted to make sure. Thank you again for all your help
Attached Images

Unread 02-24-2022, 08:17 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Interesting situation, Robert.

If you plan to tile all the way to the corner, I'd likely remove the corner bead and re-do that corner with a metal reinforced paper tape (if you can find some), rather than any sort of corner bead. Granted, it's a traffic corner, but your tile should protect it well enough and the paper tape makes a flat, crisp corner.

I would apply the tape with a setting-type drywall mud rather than thinset mortar.

Unread 03-02-2022, 10:35 PM   #8
ITY

Quote:
I would apply the tape with a setting-type drywall mud rather than thinset mortar.
If tile will be placed over it anyway, can you explain why you would still use a setting type drywall mud, rather than say, a scratch coat of thinset?
Unread 03-03-2022, 09:58 AM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Smooths more easily in my experience. Entirely up to you.

Unread 03-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #10
RinSF

And...one more question, this is more design-related and how to lay out the tile:

I'm using 4 x 16 tiles laid vertically...and the plan was just to tile 32" above the sink. In my terrible mockup below, the blue rectangles represent the tiles...and I need to go around the vertical outside corner on the right. My question is, how do I do this??

I assumed bullnose on the corner edge as shown in pink, but I also need some sort of trim along the top edge of the tiles...and that would seem to conflict with the bullnose profile. (Just to note, I don't wish to use Schluter type edging, and I know tiling all the way to the ceiling would solve all this, but I'd prefer not to.)

Honestly, it's a garage sink so I'm not even opposed to just caulking along the top edge, but hoping to do things somewhat proper. Tile is 3/8" thick if it's of help.

Thank you so much again for all your thoughts.
Attached Images

Last edited by RinSF; 03-03-2022 at 03:40 PM.
RinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2022, 12:17 PM   #11
RinSF

How to lay out tile with both bullnose and trim?

(*Apologies, re-posting: I’d put this at the bottom of an unrelated topic and it likely got buried).

I’m tiling around a sink with 4 x 16 tiles laid vertically...and I only wish to tile 32" above the sink, so I need some sort of border along the top. In my terrible mockup below, the blue rectangles represent the tiles…so I need to go around the vertical outside corner on the right. My question is, how do I handle this corner where it also intersects with the border trim on top??

I assumed bullnose on the corner edge as shown in pink, but any top trim would seem to conflict with the bullnose profile. (Just to note, I don't wish to use Schluter type edging, and I know tiling all the way to the ceiling would solve all this, but I'd prefer not to.)

Are there any smarter ways to do this?

Honestly, it's a garage sink so I'm not even opposed to just caulking along the top edge, but hoping to do things somewhat proper. Tile is 3/8" thick if it's of help.

Thanks so much for all your thoughts.
Attached Images

Unread 03-08-2022, 01:30 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Robert, please don't start new threads with the same questions as it results in confusion and duplication of effort on the part of our all-volunteer army of helpers. If you don't think you're getting timely responses, you can make another post to your thread to bump it to the top of the queue again for attention. The thread titles matters not much, but a moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

You say you don't want to use a Schluter-type edge profile, but you've listed Jolly (a Schluter profile) as one of your options for the top trim piece in your drawing. Perhaps some explanation there? While it's possible, I suppose, to cut the mounting leg off the profile strip and bend it around your corner, I've never tried it with a Jolly profile.

And in your drawing you speak of using a bullnose edge on your wall tile, but your drawing appears to be using a quarter-round or similar tile at the corner. I'm confused there, also.

Unread 03-08-2022, 03:13 PM   #13
RinSF

1. Re "Schluter," I just meant I don't like metal edging. "Jolly" was what Daltile calls their ceramic edge trim. (I'm not a professional, so I'm not familiar with the proper term.)

2. The pink in the mockup is bullnose, not quarter round...this is just a rough mockup.

Maybe what I should have asked is: How would an experienced tiler treat this space? I only said bullnose and jolly/pencil as that's what I've seen...but there are likely smarter ways to deal with the spot where the corner meets the top trim.
Unread 03-08-2022, 04:30 PM   #14
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Many of the Schluter profiles come in various finishes and textures, plus colored plastics. On many of them, you can form them into a curve by cutting part of the anchor leg away to allow the edges to move without overlapping. Some of them can be purchased with the leg already cut, but it's not hard to do afterwards, if needed.

FWIW, one of them has the model name Jolly, which is part of the confusion. Not sure if that's trademarked or not.
https://resources.schluter.com/media...d%20Colors.pdf

What I did on one outside corner, was use a bullnose trim piece on both edges, creating sort of a rounded corner. It would depend on the angle and the actual edge of the tile involved as to how it would look. But, keep in mind after pricing, the trim pieces tend to be quite expensive compared to the corresponding field tiles, so a profile can end up being less expensive. Note, an outside corner in tile is a potential fracture point should something hit it, which means a profile has some advantages as it's not fragile like a tile.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.

Last edited by jadnashua; 03-08-2022 at 05:39 PM.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2022, 10:09 AM   #15
RinSF

Grout vs. caulk??

Hi...I just finished tiling and had 3 questions on grout vs. caulk locations if folks can help?

Just to note...
  • Lines are 1/16". I’m using a light gray unsanded grout and do have matching silicone caulk, but would probably prefer to use grout where possible just for ease
  • This is just a garage utility sink, so this doesn’t need to be kitchen-perfect
Things are called out in the pic below, and also including an overall pic for context.

1. Under bullnose changing plane on an outside corner (I know, probably caulk, just trying to avoid)

2. Between tile and metal drywall corner bead

3. Top lip of bullnose. *I know I could use painters caulk and paint (and this is certainly an option), but squishing some grout in there with my finger seems like it might be simpler.

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts.
Attached Images

Last edited by RinSF; 05-15-2022 at 10:38 AM.
RinSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase