Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Rutili

moldy latasil Silicone

Hello,

A few questions:

I built a shower, with allot of help from this board. I used porcelain tile, Laticrete Spectralock Pro - epoxy and caulked everything with Latasil - silicone caulk.

I used 4 different colors of grout and caulk.

Where the floor meets the walls I used Almond color Latasil. 6mths later it is moldy. Only the Almond, only where the wals meet the floor. All other caulk and all grout old free.

Why would Latasil get moldy?
How do I remove it?

Is there anything I need to do besides cut it out and replace to prevent future mold?

Thanks in Advance

Joe - Amateur
Rutili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
hbrothberg

Where the floor meets the walls ... in a shower

Thank you for using Laticrete materials in your shower....!

While our products are designed to resist / reduce mold & mildew problems these issues can still occur.

Where the floor meets the walls is an area where "organic materials" like human "by-products" and soap residue can collect.

No sealant or caulk can completely prevent mold or mildew where organic materials collect.

Be sure to give entire shower and particularly the shower floor / wall cove areas thorough cleaning with detergents / cleaning agents designed to remove soap residue and designed for cleaning showers.

Henry
Office: (203) 393-0010 ext 202
Cell: (203) 988-1814

Full Disclosure: I am a 2nd generation Laticrete guy !
Follow my Blog: www.laticrete.blogspot.com
hbrothberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Jim wood
NO MORE FLOORS

What does the mold look like. A few pics might help. The Latisil itself should not mold but as Henry said soap scum may be the cause.
Unread 08-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Joe, Hi All,

Water gets behind caulking and mold develops there; it's not the caulking itself that is moldy. The wall/floor joint in a shower seems to gather more moisture than others in the shower. Water tends to cling there. Also, contaminants cling there also, as Henry stated.

After you get things cleaned up and get your joint re-caulked I recommend you hand dry the shower after each use, especially that area where wall meets floor. Dry the shower each time it's used and you'll have very few problems with mold, algae and plain old dirt.

AND, for people who do dry their shower after each use I recommend using grout in the wall/floor juncture instead of caulking. I know that goes against the powers that be, but I've been using grout for decades.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Rutili

Henry,

I appreciate your perspective. Note: the shower undergoes weekly cleansing by trained professionals.

The Latasil in question runs horizontally, and in each corner intersect Latasil of a different color which runs vertically. Please note the vertical running latasil exposed to the very same conditions, at the intersection points contains no mold.

In any event, I believe the effected caulk is faulty, since none of the other caulk, differentiated by color is effected, I believe it is simply bad product. I am not here to debate that. (I can provide pics if interested)

I am Just looking for advice on how to remediate the issue.

Thanks,
Unread 08-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I'm here to debate that, and I want to see the pics.

And while we're at it, let's all keep a friendly tone of voice.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Rutili

John,

Thanks for the advice. I will post the pics tomorrow evening after I arrive home. (am traveling today)

Please do not misinterpret the tone of my typing. Nothing but friendly tones here.

I appreciate your forum.
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
hbrothberg

DO Post the photos ....

If mold is growing the caulk is not faulty, the mold is "living off" something.

We can inhibit mold but can not stop it completely if enough food sources exist for the mold.

Something organic is providing FOOD for the mold to grow.

Horizontal caulk joints where the floor meets the wall is where "stuff collects"

BUT

I would rather help FIX the problem rather than "debate" the problem.

I did run your issue by our Tech Service Director. His comments:

"A bleaching type cleanser can help to dislodge and clean the mold (e.g. Soft Scrub with Bleach or Clorox Clean-Up). I do not think that cutting out the mold is necessary at this point.

The mold is probably feeding on food sources that sit in the corners (e.g. soap and shampoo residue, etc…).

Periodic cleanings with these types of cleaners may be required to keep these areas from experiencing these issues.

Hope this helps."

BUT ...

If you disagree, rather than debate, remind me of the specific color and how many tubes you need and I'll send some Latisil caulk to you for replacement of the existing caulking.

Do be sure that water / mold are not simply getting BEHIND the existing caulking.

Henry
Office: (203) 393-0010 ext 202
Cell: (203) 988-1814

Full Disclosure: I am a 2nd generation Laticrete guy !
Follow my Blog: www.laticrete.blogspot.com
hbrothberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
sandbagger

Quote:
Something organic is providing FOOD for the mold to grow.
What Henry said - you can't grow mold on 100% sillycone any more than you can grow it on a clean sheet of glass - unless you happen to have been invaded by one of those silicone-based life forms I saw in an old Star Trek episode.

Joe - you didn't say if this was a Kerdi shower. Is it? I used the same materials in the Kerdi shower I built almost two years ago and have zero mold. I also have to confess I'm pretty bad about maintenance.

There's something else going on here, Joe. Have a little patience and play along with John and Henry - the Help Desk doesn't get any better than this.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase