Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
TOOL

Frameless enclosure sources?

I'm stuck. Can't find a frameless enclosure that's affordable right now. Local companies want ridiculous prices so I'm looking for one I can order and install myself. Anyone have a lead on something like that? Need to caulk but otherwise I'm ready for the glass.
Attached Images

Unread 10-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

That's gotta be pieced together with panels, you'll never find anyone to do that other than a custom install, i don't think.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Some people around the forum have used this supplier. They claim to have good service. I'm sure if you did a seach on this forum, you could dig up the threads. I had this link saved in my favorites for a while.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
I agree with dave its gonna be a meatl and glass enclosure. and when you do it use the oil rubbed like your fixtures
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
brianbes

Terry, I love that tile and that pattern. What kind of tile is that, damn hard to go in the stores and try to figure out what it would look like.
Unread 10-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

Some glass companies will give a contractors discount to a licensed contractor.
Maybe you might a have a buddy with a license that can negotiate a deal
to get you a few hundred dollars off? I would imagine a frameless glass
enclosure(Think its called Euro style) is going to be a bit more difficult
than a standard install. From my experiences, glass shower panels are
templated custom fit for each shower taking into consideration any out
of plumb in the wall, same for ledges and your curb. Best of luck.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
TOOL

I've actually contacted 3 companies that claim to sell frameless enclosures to diy'ers like me. But up to this point, their customer support blows. I even got quotes from 2 of them so I know it's not THAT out of the ordinary. I just thought more some of you had done business with one or more that was pleasant. The quote I got from the local guy was more than double what I got from the others and apparently, he was a little rude to the wife.

"Terry, I love that tile and that pattern. What kind of tile is that, damn hard to go in the stores and try to figure out what it would look like."

Brian, the tile is casa dolce casa flagstone white. The pattern is a "strong bond" with 15x15 on the bottom, 5x5 in between, a row of fascia in the middle of that, with 7x 15's on top. Too cheap for v-caps so I cut a ton of battiscopa to irregular lengths and used scraps for a row in between the size changes. All the corners are mitre cut. Pain in the arse! My 1st tile job so, it could've been better but I like it. One day, MAYBE, I'll get to take a shower in there!!
Unread 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
dontnomuch

Try wilsonglass. A quick google and you can get their website. A lot of people on this forum have had success and saved lots of money ordering from them. Apparently, they have good customer service as well.
Unread 10-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
wallygater

v caps and battiscopia

what are v caps and what is battiscopia? i love the pattern. what is a srong bond pattern? last night i saw the holms on homes show. he instaled a frameless glass with hinged door. he only used clear silicone for the install. is this possible? no track. no drilling into the tile. just clear silicone. does anyone reccomend this type of install?
Unread 10-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
river-wear

Hi Terry, gorgeous shower!

From what I hear from a friend who installed his own frameless enclosure, it's easier using U-channel rather than clips. Makes sense, because it's more forgiving to your measurements since the seam between glass and tile is not visible.

Wally - are you sure he didn't use ANY clips? For example, the large "side" panel on mine has two clips that attach to the wall on the side, but the corner is held together only with silicone. Then the little panel has a couple clips on the curb and the door of course is hinged to the other wall. They aren't very noticeable at all.

"Happiness... it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort." - FDR
river-wear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
ckl111
Home Builder

I have frameless showers installed all the time. Nothing but clear silicone but it requires experience from the guy taking measurements so gaps between the glass in the tile is about 1/4". Easier said than done considering un-level sills, un-plumb walls, lippage on wall tiles, inserts that stick out, etc, etc,

Once the silicone has cured the installation is very solid.
Unread 12-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #12
TOOL

It's been a while since I updated this. I've been working too much and unable to finish up the bathroom, HOWEVER, I did find a company that I ordered my enclosure from. They offered both the channel method and the clip method. I went with the clip because channels would look like framed glass in my opinion and require more cleaning chores. The glass will take a few weeks to manufacture and ship so, I'll post some pics after it's all done.
Unread 12-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Do tell from whom you ordered after it's all done, Terry. Good for our other visitors to know where to get (or not get) that sorta service. We get such requests alla time.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
jdjanka

I know this thread is almost a year old, but any feedback on the source of your frameless enclosure? I've checked out Wilson Glass and eshowerenclosure.com, but it's always good to have more options!

Jason
jdjanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
ckl111
Home Builder

Where are you located?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase