Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-31-2022, 03:10 PM   #1
Dan White

Floating Composite Tile Flooring

Hi all. Long time no see. I know this is mostly a traditional tile forum but I have a situation in my garage and I'm wondering if anybody here has used this product. I have about 500 sf with a concrete floor (about 60 or 70 years old but in good condition). I removed two lolly columns and leveled with a saw and bondo.

The product I'm looking at is this:
https://newageproducts.com/flooring/...rage-flooring/

I like that there are no grout lines and no thinset. The floor floats on the concrete so installation is easy, in theory. The spec says floor has to be flat within 3/16 over 10'. The product gets mostly 5 star reviews but there are a couple of guys who say if the floor is not 100% flat then there will be problems. I'm pretty sure I'm within the spec and normally I would say "good enough" but these reviews gave me pause. I don't want a clacky floor that moves when you walk on it because of sub floor issues.

Long/short -- anybody have experience with this or similar products and can give me your opinion? I really like the product but want to do my homework before committing.
Unread 08-31-2022, 05:56 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

I couldn't find any installation information at all on that site, Dan, so you did better than I.

With the floating, snap together, engineered hardwood flooring with which I'm familiar, the substrate flatness requirement is the same as the requirement for large format tile; no deviation from intended plane of more than 1/8th" in ten feet. That's really, really flat and you really do need it, even with the very thin foam layer usually required under such floors.

I see no indication that your product uses such a vapor barrier/cushion layer, so I'd consider that 3/16ths" in ten feet an absolute minimum.

Beyond that, just not enough information for me to form much of an opinion. Well, other than that they have a serious need for a proof reader for their website.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2022, 06:52 PM   #3
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Dan,

Just a thought....IF your floor is level, and only if the floor is level, I might set up a laser level and check for high or low spots every at each square foot of the floor. Of course you will know quickly if it is level by checking a few less spots first.

I've not installed that product but have installed a good bit of plank laminate and vinyl. You can usually tell when you have a high or low spot that is going to possibly be a problem when installing that section, and take care of it then - but then again, nobody is parking on my floors.

Good luck!
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2022, 10:06 AM   #4
Dan White

@cx thanks. There is a 1.5 mm thick rubber backing water vapor barrier.

@john - I am checking over the floor now for high and low spots. Dumb question but what is the best way to check for high and low spots with a laser? I have a good laser level that works in 3 dimensions. The floor does pitch downward toward the door openings a bit.

Lastly, what is a good way to shave down the cement in high areas? I took care of the high cement around the lolly columns with a circular saw and bondo. Is there a suitable sandpaper that might work with a palm sander for smallish areas?
Unread 09-01-2022, 07:21 PM   #5
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Dan, you would just set the laser then use a story pole with a mark on it (or tape measure) at the first place you check and then look for variance anywhere - like snap gridlines at every foot in two directions and check everywhere the lines intersect. - BUT, if your floor is not level, it would be difficult if not impossible to use this method. I suppose that IF it slopes almost perfectly in one direction, all of the measurements across the slope along the same gridline should theoretically be the same, and the measurement would increase by the amount of slope per foot as you travelled from one line to the next lower line.

You could also rent the longest aluminum screed available at your local equipment rental and use that as your straight edge.

You'd want to use a concrete grinding diamond cup wheel on an angle grinder - I don't know of anything that would work on a sander.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

I think you're likely to wast a whole lot of time and experience a whole lot of frustration trying to determine flatness of a sloped floor using a laser level.

I agree with Snets on both his points. You want to rent or purchase a ten-foot straight edge and use that to determine your flatness.

You'll need an angle grinder and diamond cup wheel, one of the two-row types, to grind down your high spots. Yes, it's a PITA, but it's about your only realistic option. You may or my not be able to fill the low areas with some sort of cementitious patching compound, but I think you're still likely to need some grinding.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 09-02-2022 at 07:06 AM. Reason: typo
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2022, 06:24 AM   #7
Dan White

Thanks guys. I understand what you're saying about the level. I do have an 8' long aluminum straight edge somewhere. I couldn't find it yesterday but I think that would give me a good enough idea. My sense is that the floor is level enough but there are one or two cracked areas that might need some grinding.
Unread 09-02-2022, 05:40 PM   #8
Dan White

I can't find my straight edge, but even this plank of fir shows up some problems. There are depressions generally where the wheels of the car go. The one photo shows the crack, and the close up shows a good 3/16 or even a bit more gap over about a 4' length. The crack may even be less of a problem than those depression. I'm not sure the tiles I want to use will work.

I know SLC won't work for such small variations. Any suggestions on how to level out small differences like this short of grinding the whole floor? Ugh.

Name:  20220902_154850.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  27.1 KB
Name:  20220902_155218.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  44.7 KB
Unread 09-02-2022, 06:22 PM   #9
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Hi Dan, I used that product (1x2 slate) in the kitchen/mudroom of my house. I did have the advantage of flat floors, also installed subfloor 3/8” BC plywood down to over the Advantech to bring the kitchen floor level up with adjacent hardwood.

Nice looking product but learning the trick of getting those tiles to lots together correctly took a bit of time.

This tool was key to getting a tight fit the minimized the gaps that would built up.

VersaBlock Gray Installation Kit https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cal-Flor-Ve...ock/1002966544

Name:  E581FF96-2C93-4B23-98B7-68B70FCD601D.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  64.5 KB
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2022, 06:41 PM   #10
Dan White

Fantastic! I was wondering why they don't supply a tapping block since we're spending thousands on the tile. I'll definitely get on if I can sort out my concrete issue.
Unread 09-02-2022, 08:44 PM   #11
PC7060

Good luck with the floor issues. FYI, not so much tapping as a whacking block. It takes some muscle to get the tiles tightly together to minimize the gap creep as you go along.
Unread 09-02-2022, 09:10 PM   #12
Dan White

Did you use the exact same tile -- the brand is New Age?
Unread 09-03-2022, 05:00 AM   #13
PC7060

Yes, believe I purchased it from Garage outfitters or similar name company. New age occasionally marks down price 10-15% so keep watch.

Last edited by PC7060; 09-03-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Unread 09-03-2022, 01:16 PM   #14
Dan White

Home Depot is charging $5.99 while New Age charges more like $5.49. I'm afraid to buy it until I figure out whether my floor can be made flatter.
Unread 09-03-2022, 07:59 PM   #15
PC7060

Yes, I’d wait as well. Call their tech team to see if they have any suggestions. Overall I like the product but their QA could use some improvement. Found some defective tiles including this one they had flagged but still shipped. Name:  94D50C25-0BF0-44D9-A548-1D431235E68B.jpeg
Views: 37
Size:  67.9 KB

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase