Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
Purkey

Grout

i'm doing a tub surround in 3x5 beveled subway tile not my choice my wife wanted it. My problem is how to grout the beveled tile. I let her chose it not thinking about grout o well happy wife happy life. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Unread 04-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Sounds like she has trained you well. Depends on how much of a bevel the tiles have. On a shallow bevel, you can spread the grout and wash the grout down to where it needs to be. On deep bevels you may have to rake some grout out of the joints with the corner of the float after spreading it. It's usually more time consuming.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Platypus

You could also fashion a tool from wood (paint stirs are excellent stock for this kind of thing) that has the right profile to scrape it down just a little less than you want, then come back over it with the sponge as normal. This would probably give you better control than just using the corner of the float. But it's hard to say... I can't see it from here.

Yeah, it's gonna take longer regardless.
Unread 04-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
Timmay2

For the time involved in trying to make the grout consistent, i'd just buy a spare rubber float and take a few minutes to cut a light bevel contour to match out of one of the short sides.
Unread 04-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
Purkey

Thanks for the advice. Also on the tile spacers I was told to not use the given spacing on the tile and to use 1/16 spacers to keep it level easier .

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase