Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Other forums > Computer Training

Sponsors

Unread 08-11-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
Roger3125

Changing the dpi for printing

Tonight I was trying to change the dpi from 72 to something higher before I printed a picture. I'll be darned I couldn't figure out how to do that. I've done it a thousand (well OK 4 times) and my mind went blank.

Can someone help me out

I have a picture up on my screen and before I print I want it to be clearer so how do I change the dpi?

O know what I'm going to say after you tell me so let me save us the time.....DUHHHHH
Roger3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-12-2005, 07:07 AM   #2
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
When you hit print, does a dialog box appear? If so, there is usually a button you can click to change the settings on the printer driver. Setup, advanced, something like that.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #3
Roger3125

Thanks Dave for your reply. I use MS Works to type documents. When I go into the File I am given one of three choices for PRINT...Page set up (size of page and margins but no mention of dpi or file size), Print Preview and Print
Unread 08-13-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
When you click "Print", does it just print, or does a new dialog box appear? That's where you would get a chance to tweak the printer settings.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Mike2

Roger, when you go to File, then Print, a dialog box should apprear asking for such things as number of copies, etc. In the upper right hand corner you should see Properties. Go there and in the Paper/Quality Tab, set the Print Quality to High. On my printer that gives me 600X600 DPI. .
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
Roger3125

Thanks

When I hit PRINT no dialogue box comes up...it goes directly to "Welocme to the Photo Printing Wizard". There I can size the picture I want to print but no place allows me to change the dpi or ppi
Unread 08-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #7
Mike2

No prob, we'll get there thru the back door.

Control Panel, Printers (or Printers and Faxes), right click on your installed printer, Properties, Advanced tab, Printing Defaults, Paper/Quality tab. Phew, now you can set your resolution by selecting Best quality setting.
Unread 08-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
Roger3125

Thanks Mike but I went that way and that doesn't help.

What I'm trying to do is set it up so when I print a picture it prints in a particular size, In this case 3.5 inches wide and 3.25 high. The size I need to make a cover for a mini-CD folder cover.

This and not lose much of the quality of the photograph. I also have Adobe Photo Deluxe vs 2, Adobe Elements and HP Photo & Imaging. I beleive all can do it but again I'm lost there as well.

I greatly apreciate your determination to help me out
Unread 08-15-2005, 06:21 AM   #9
Mike2

Sorry Roger, I completely misunderstood what you were trying to accomplish.

There are many different photo editors available to resize a picture, but since you have Adobe, I'll try to walk you through that process. I don't know what version you have but try this:

1. Open the picture to be resized in Adobe Photo Deluxe.

2. Upper toolbar, select Size.

3. From drop down menu, select Photo Size. There you will see a display of your photo's current size. If the size is initially displayed in pixels, select inches from the pull down menu to the right.

4. Check the Proportions box so that the photo is not distorted during the resizing operation.

5. Set the width to 3.5" inches. As soon as you do that notice that the height dimension changes automatically. If the height is now greater than 3.25", leave it that way as we will trim it later on. If the height is less than 3.25", type in 3.25" for the height. Width will now be greater than 3.5" but leave it that way. We'll trim that dimension instead, but again later on.

6. Go to File then Save your picture giving it a different name, like Version 2.

Remember where you save it . Actually, saving it to your Desktop is a good idea. That way it's in your face. We are not done with final trimming at this point but I want to stop here to make sure you can at least get to this point.

What's the verdict?
Unread 08-15-2005, 07:35 AM   #10
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

If your picture is really only 72 dpi to begin with then resizing it larger will introduce noticable pixelation. Here's a web page that explains it with an example...

http://imaging.agentz.com/prntsmpl.shtml
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 07:50 AM   #11
Mike2

Yeah Joe. I figured 72 dpi was the resolution of the picture, not the actual size. You have to start out with a picture at least 3.5" X 3.25" Roger.
Unread 08-15-2005, 10:17 AM   #12
Roger3125

Thanks guyz....I think where I'm having the problem is first knowing at what size, dpi or resloolution I'm taking the picture in my digital camera. Then I'm confused of the meaning of these words....I understand pixel but the rest confuse the heck out of me...resolution, etc. I didm howeverm understand what that site Joe sent me to.

I've done exactly as Joe suggested with Photo Deluxe and when I set either the height of the width to a certain number it rarely comes out that. Let me run another test and I'll give you all the date I can from what I did.

As always thanks for hanging in there.

Roger
Unread 08-15-2005, 02:18 PM   #13
Roger3125

Full explanation and wish me luck.

I am using a SONY 5.0 Cyber-Shot that offers 5M,3:2M,3M,1M and VGA (E-mail). I usually have it set on 3M or 5M if I plan to print the pictures.

When I bring them up on screen the pic is about 1.35MB (2048 x 1530). When I resize them via right click, "resize" they them are 57.4 KB (640x480)

Using the smaller picture, (57.4 KB) I open in Photo Deluxe and this is what I have

Canvas size: Width: 8.889 inches Height: 11 inches
Photo size: Width:3.5 inches Height: 4.331

Proportion is checked and File size is not checked

Resolution is set at 72

When I PRINT the result is a good picture but the measurements are
Width: 3.5 inches Height: 2.5 inches

I did the whole thing over again but this time set the resolution to 300. Results were identical.

In the meantime I bought Adobe Photo Deluxe 3.0 on Ebay. Maye I'll have better luckl with it. My version 2 is pretty old and its seems to lock up on me sometimes.
Unread 08-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #14
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Roger,

DON'T resize them!!! What you have done is reduce the pictures to VGA quality (640x480) or approximately 1/2 megapixel. If you are going to do this you could have bought a $49 digital camera and gotten the same results.

Open the original image in your photo editor and you will be OK. you should be able to print it to fit on a page.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 02:57 PM   #15
Mike2

Joe, he wants to shrink that picture to fit in a CD case, 3.5" X 3.25". How else is he going to do that without changing the size in his photo editor.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase