Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
AAslesen

Floor Buildup Question

Hello,
First time posting. I'm going to be tiling and entry way and I need to build up the flooring to match the height in the living room. The sub floor is 3/4" plywood on 16" joists. The living room has 3/4" OSB on top of the plywood and we are installing 1/4" LVP on top of the OSB. In the entry way we are installing tile that is about 1/4" think over Ditra XL which is 5/16" thick. That means I need another 1/4" on top of the plywood before laying down the Ditra XL. What is the best product to use for that, 1/4" plywood, 1/4" Fiberrock backer board, something else?

Thanks for the advice!
Unread 05-21-2021, 12:04 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Andrew.

What about just using 1/2” cement board instead of Ditra?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #3
AAslesen

That's a good question, my wife does kitchen and bath design and one of the contractors she uses often suggested using Ditra XL to stabilize the floor since it is an older house (1977). So, I was just going off of that, but if 1/2" cement board would be good enough then that would certainly be easier.
Unread 05-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Andrew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
suggested using Ditra XL to stabilize the floor since it is an older house (1977)
Not sure just what he might mean by that. Ditra is and "uncoupling" membrane, for which there is no standard in the tile industry. As such, the industry doesn't really know what the product does. One thing I've never heard even the manufacturer claim is that it could "stabilize" a wood framed subfloor, old or new.

Use of a properly installed CBU to increase the height of your subfloor and provide a ceramic tile substrate in your application would be at least as good and probably a better choice if you don't have room for additional plywood subflooring.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2021, 05:28 AM   #5
AAslesen

Maybe I misunderstood the reasoning for using the Ditra, but I guess three different people suggested using it and said it would help prevent the grout from cracking. Maybe I took that to mean it would stabilize the subfloor. I could certainly just lay down another 1/4" of plywood or OSB, but I would like to do the best thing that I can. If laying down some thinset and applying fiberrock or a cement board is going to be a better option I don't mind doing the extra work.
Unread 05-24-2021, 09:28 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Andrew, the uncoupling membranes may well isolate your tile installation from some types of movement of the subfloor, but they do not "stabilize" the subfloor in any way. They are used extensively these days and may well work in some applications. My point was that there is no standard for the products, so the only information you have to rely upon is the manufacturer's claims.

There is one manufacturer of such membranes that claims (or previously claimed) it to improve the subfloor deflection, which claim I find patently false. But see my warranty information below.

You cannot use any additional plywood subflooring that is thinner than nominal 3/8ths" and I find that to be a bit thin. If you want to improve the subfloor, I recommend nothing thinner than nominal 1/2" plywood if you have room for it.

Unread 05-24-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
AAslesen

That makes sense about the uncoupling membrane and the manufacturer's claims. Having friends that sell vitamins, i'm aware of how manufacturer's of products will claim all sorts of things that may or may not be true and have not been extensively tested.

It sounds like plywood is out since I only need to build up the subfloor an additional 1/4". So it looks like the best way to do that is using a tile backer board. I see that my local HD has one called Fiberrock and they call it an underlayment, and they also have cement board. Would one of those products have advantages over the other?
Unread 05-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Fiberock is a gypsum board and suitable for dry areas. I would prefer a cement board (ASTM C1325) in your application. Place that sells Fiberock should also have Durock.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase