Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-25-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
philip

Question Furring studs for Durock

I'm replacing bathtubs and my new tub has the lip on. My old one didn't. I don't really want to fur out the studs because the Durock would stick out 1/4 inch past the surface of my existing walls. If I don't, and bring the Durock over the lip, it going to potentially bow out towards the tub an 1/8th of an inch. Is it necessary to bring the Durock overthe lip? I've been told It's also normal to bring the backer just to the top of the lip, and set the tile down, covering that gap. that seems weird? Maybe that would be ok if I filled the gap with thinset and fiberglass tape to support? any solutions? is there a way to possibly notch the backer?

thanks,
Phil
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-25-2004, 02:37 PM   #2
bbcamp

The flange is about 1" to 1-1/2", no? If you were using a 6 inch or larger tile, you could set the backer board just above the flange and let the tile hang over. Back butter the bottom of the tiles so the thinset will support the tile. It probably won't stick to the flange, but an accidental bump won't break the tiles. Leave a 1/4" gap at the bottom of the tile for caulk.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2004, 02:48 PM   #3
philip

yeah, the lip is about 1" and the tiles are 4". But i think if i still back butter to support the tile I should be ok, right?

now, you said caulk the bottom. I've been told not to grout the gap between the tile and the tub. Caulk it intsead. is that right? or would you do both?

thanks for the advice.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2004, 02:55 PM   #4
bbcamp

I'm guessing about the minimum tile size, so don't get your hopes up. One of the pros will set us both straight shortly.

I did say caulk where the tile meets the tub.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase