Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
Harleydad

Kerdi Shower Tray or Mortar Bed

I am in the process of remolding our shower and have decided to go with the Kerdi System. Having problems deciding on installing the tray or not because of the location of the shower drain. The shower floor is 32 x 46, the drain is in the center of the 32 inch direction but off centered in the 46 inch direction. Center of drain is 19 inches to one wall and 26 inches to the other wall in the 46 inch direction. My guess is the drain is in this location because of the floor joists. I understand that Kerdi recommends cutting equal amounts on all 4 sides but the only problem in cutting more on the one side than the other, to fit the off centered drain, is the height of the tray along the walls. I figured the top of the tray could be as much as 1/4" off which will show in my grout joint or require the first row of tile above the tray to be cut to fit.
I like the tray to support the Kerdi drain but I can do a pre-slope if necessary. Was planning on using your Deck Mud mix.
What do you think? If I use the Deck Mud mix, is there any aggreate in it, how is the drain flange supported? Thnaks.
Dave
Harleydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
bbcamp

Those pre-formed trays are not built for off-center drain applications, unless you are willing to live with the perimeter being at different heights on each wall. Make your own mud bed, and you can adjust the slope to maintain a level perimeter. Your wall tiles will thank you for it.

The deck mud recipe is 5 parts sand to 1 part portland cement. Nothing else (but water). You can get sand topping mix and add a half (or less) a bag of play sand to make your deck mud.

Setting a Kerdi drain from the top is a bit tricky. You have to estimate the height of the drain pipe, cut it, and glue the Kerdi drain in place. (Since you won't have as much control, the drain height may be different from what you planned so be prepared to adjust your plans accordingly.) You then pack deck mud in under the fitting. It helps if you mix this little bit of mud slightly wetter than the rest of the bed. Use your hands, margin trowel, paint sticks, or anything you can find to work the mud under the drain. It is important to fully support the the drain.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Dave,

It's hell on the manicure, but that's the way to go.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
Harleydad

Bob, John,
Thanks for the advice. I was originally planning on doing the mortar bed but then started looking at what could be done with the Kerdi tray. Did speak to my local Kerdi Rep, he suggested the mortar bed also.
Was planning on installing a moisture barrier on the plywood floor and 2.5 metal lath. Then using your Deck Mud mix of 60 lb of Quickrete sand topping mix and 30 lb of All Purpose Sand to get a 5:1 mix. Was planning of placing 1 1/2 inches of mortar mix under the Kerdi Drain. I was going to set the drain and connect it by cutting a hole in the ceiling in the room beneath the shower. Sounds OK??
Dave
Harleydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2005, 05:51 AM   #5
bbcamp

Sounds OK to me, especially the part about connecting the drain after you place the mud bed.

All purpose sand may have larger pebbles in it, play sand is finer and works just as well.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase