Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
fizzix

Has anyone used RedGard (or any liquid membrane) over integrated bonding flange?

Can't seem to find any info on it, but I'm wondering if anyone has done this kind of setup before. Would it be ok to use Redgard over an integrated bonding flange drain such as the kerdi-drain? I would be doing a deckmud shower pan with it. I've attached a picture of how I was thinking about doing it. I was also thinking about adding some fabric membrane around the perimeter or the flange. Any opinions on this setup?
Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 12-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

You would certainly be encouraged to use the Kerdi fabric here. I doubt that you'll get any upvotes from Herr Schluter on this approach.

Having said that, would it work? Properly sealed and bonded...possibly. (you pays your money and you takes your chances...)

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
speed51133

I don't think many will approve on this forum, but it is exactly how some manufacturers recommend you do it.

https://youtu.be/L20gEBjr6wY?t=167

This is Mark E Industries, home of the Goof Proof Shower
Unread 12-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
smifwal

The flofx drain says you can. Not sure what that astrix is for on the top line, I will have to look that up

https://flofx.com/product/pvc-bond-flange-kit/
Attached Images

Unread 12-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Patrick.

Most pros have done some hybrid or another with liquid/sheets/different drains. But the thing that makes many of us the most nervous is using a liquid waterproofing on a pan. If the stuff is applied to the proper thickness and all the details are taken care of properly, it's going to work. But it's sooooooo easy to not be thick enough in one or two little spots. And a shower is no place for skimping or being lackadaisical on waterproofing. The stuff isn't magic. You need a certain thickness, but it's not a "thicker is better and more waterproof thing". Too thick equals not enough support. With a mud pan surface, there's a lot of minor inconsistencies. So, it's super easy to apply the stuff too thin or too thick. Walls are a very different story. In my opinion, most pros are nervous using liquids for waterproofing a pan and perfectly comfortable using it to waterproof walls.

One think you might not know is that the pan would need to be completely dry before you apply the RedGard. That means waiting 28 days. Somebody can correct me if they've changed the requirements and reduced the times. If the requirements have been reduced, I'd want that in writing.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #6
speed51133

If you really want a bonding flange and avoid a pre-slope, AND dont want to use a membrane on the walls and floor, I would go with redgard on the walls and a sheet membrane on the floor. You wont need much of it.
Unread 12-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Patrick,

Like others have mentioned, an adhered sheet waterproofing product like our Mapeguard WP 200 or similar would be easiest to install here.
That being said, you can use a liquid applied product like our Mapelastic AquaDefense, but we would strongly encourage the use of reinforcing fabric around the drain.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase