Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-28-2022, 05:52 PM   #1
redlude97

Cleaning marble subway tiles prior to install

Hi everyone, getting ready to install some individual marble tiles for a backsplash and for some reason the tiles that came in the box are heavily coated in cutting dust and residue. I'm worried about adherence to the thinset so was thinking I'd need to wash them prior. We're talking a couple hundred tiles so I'd rather not individually clean them with a grout sponge but will a quick dip in soapy water followed by a clean water bucket be enough and won't wet the tile interior too much prior to install? Or is there a better solution I'm not thinking of?
Unread 11-28-2022, 08:40 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would wipe each one with clean water using a sponge. I wouldn't use any soap. Sometimes dipping won't get them clean.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2022, 09:07 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome back, Hai,

Recently installed a bathroom floor using 4"X8" marble, and decided to clean each one, about 200 total, due to the same reason; all were covered in dust front and back. I just set up a cleaning station in the kitchen, a bunch of towels on the counters and island, and cleaned 1 box worth, about 20, at a time. Just water and a sponge, no soap.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2022, 12:14 PM   #4
redlude97

Thanks all for the answer I knew was right but didn't want to hear

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase