Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #31
vilose

jadnashua, Thank you very much for the advice. Our GC told me that the flooring store put that statement about tcna guidelines in the contract to make me happy.
Unread 05-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #32
vilose

Lifetime warranty on tile installation...

I was told that we will have a lifetime warranty on our tile installation. The only reference to this lifetime warranty is a handwritten sentence on the flooring store's contract: "Lifetime installation warranty (due to faulty installation)." I asked if there's warranty paperwork with the terms of the warranty, and I was told no. The tile isn't being installed according to any TCNA standards, but my father signed the contract anyway...that's another story

Is this normal for a flooring business to write one sentence on a contract stating that there's a lifetime warranty for faulty installation? Or should we have been provided with a warranty that spells out the specific terms? Most, if not all, warranties I've read have lots of disclaimers, while this has nothing.

Also, how can they determine some years down the line if a problem is due to a faulty installation or due to a customer not properly taking care of their tile floor or due to the house settling? Not sure what the method is to determine cause of any issues.

Thanks so much for any help.
Unread 05-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #33
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

That's what your lawyer is for.

Terms of liability are fairly boilerplate; you wouldn't want to be responsible for things out of your control such as user abuse, acts of God, terrorism, improper maintenance, neglect, misuse, etc. While you can sign on for those risks, all any judge would hold you liable for is workmanship under the industry standards for that given year as part of applicable law and the UCC.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at the Las Vegas Hilton.

EDIT: SInce you're the customer - Your state and local jurisdiction will have applicable laws covering contracts. You as the homeowner are held to a much lower standard than the contractor. Part of every contract (whether its written in words or not) is the UCC and local /state law. Any contract signed under fraudulent terms is void on its face.

If you can convince your parents to have it done correctly, great. The mere mention of withholding payment should be enough to keep these guys out of court from suing you (if thy have any brains)

If your parents are dead set on forging ahead, let this one pass and don't worry about it. Put the contract, and a copy of everyone's insurance in a frame and hang it on the wall. If the floor fails you'll know where to go. If it never fails you'll have a nice story to bore your children with.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com

Last edited by Houston Remodeler; 05-18-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #34
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Because they never expect anything to come of it or they just want to make the sale.

That'd be my guess.

Unread 05-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #35
cx
Moderator emeritus

Vilose, please keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 12:27 AM   #36
vilose

Houston Remodeler, thanks for taking the time to explain things...very much appreciated.

CX, I'm sorry about that.

If the thinset over wire mesh method keeps failing the Robinson floor test, then I don't know how that flooring store has not had one single problem with their installations in thirty years, as they claim.

I hope luck is on our side...ugh.
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #37
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Vilose,

About a year ago I interviewed with a $1m+ home builder. When he said, "what do you mean floor tiles aren't supposed to crack?" I walked out of the meeting.

Unread 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #38
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Vilose

Take lots of photos of the installation process. Also take photos of the installation material that's on site. They may come in handy down the road.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Tired of bullnose tile trim? Here are 5 edge trim alternatives ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #39
vilose

Houston Remodeler, wow, floor tiles are supposed to crack Good thing you did walk out of there.

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc, that's a very good idea. I can't be there when it's installed, but I asked a family member to please be sure to take photos.

When I asked our GC how he could possibly know the state of all of the tile in all those homes (people sell their homes, change their phone #'s, etc), and he said he KNOWS since he keeps in touch with all former customers, and none of the tile has had problems. Now that's fine service! And all of my previous contractors over the past several years have phoned me to ask how their work is holding up...yup (Maybe he does keep in touch, but I find it highly doubtful)
Unread 05-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #40
tiletime56
Shaun Haley Tile

Send a message via Skype™ to tiletime56
WOW! I just read this whole thread, and I cant believe what this jerk is making you go through, I wish you all the luck that everything works out
tiletime56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #41
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Vilose said, " I don't know how that flooring store has not had one single problem with their installations in thirty years".

They haven't heard of any problems because no one has called them back. Folks tend to avoid the real problem and just call some one else.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #42
vilose

I agree. There's no way they can know the state of all their tile jobs.

GC had refused to talk further with me about my tile, but now he says he can show that the installation complies with TCNA standards. I'll keep you posted.

Questions: After the tile is installed, how soon can it have normal foot traffic? And how soon can kitchen appliances (fridge, etc) be installed on top of the tile? All appliances will have tile underneath. I think the GC said that the appliances will be installed the day after the tile installation.

Thanks!
Unread 05-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #43
A_J

You said your parents currently own the house and signed the contract with the sleazy GC. But are you the one who is paying for this? If so it sounds like you need to sit down with your parents and talk about this. Print out this thread (or the first couple pages at least -might wanna strategically edit some stuff ), and other information about why jersey mud jobs are problematic, and explain that you don't feel comfortable spending your money in it when there are better methods available.
Also, I have never heard of a GC that absolutely refused to use any other sub. What would they do if that sub was unavailable in the necessary time frame?
Unread 05-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #44
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

We normally install appliances the day after grouting which is the day after tiling.

Unread 05-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #45
cx
Moderator emeritus

Vilose, the ANSI standards require that you "Keep traffic off horizontal portland cement mortar installations for at least 72 hours."

But I'm sure your contractor knows that.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase