Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 05-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
patrick_here

Sealing ordinary concrete

Hello again everyone!

Perhaps this is a bit off-topic (if so, pardon me) but I'm thinking that there are probably people subscribed to this forum who have experience sealing an ordinary concrete garage floor ...in a garage where a car drives in and out every day.

I'm thinking that I would want to seal my garage floor to keep it from constantly generating dust. I know there are expensive coatings ...but some of them cant stand up to the thousand pound pressure of tires parked on them. I suppose that sealants might be a better intermediate solution to the problem of dusty concrete garage floors. Mine is not extremely dusty ...just wanting to seal the concrete. Any comments from guys experienced with this?
Unread 05-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Patrick, I guess the concrete could slowly erode enough to create a little dust. I could be wrong but I think that your tires are bringing in most of it. And, when it rains, the water your tires bring in isn't as clean as we would think. So when the water evaporates, a little dirt is left behind.

I once was talking to a guy that installs epoxy coatings on garage floors. We were talking about the area under the tires when the car is parked, that area seems to peel first. Don't know if he knew what he was talking about but he says the heat of the tires causes the peeling.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2021, 05:21 AM   #3
Gozo

Check on the garage journal forum. Lots of activity there on floor coatings and many vendors are active there on a daily basis.
On the “hot tire pickup”; I don’t think it’s a thing unless you’re drag racing right into the garage. I did mine in epoxy with a polyurethane top coat a decade or so ago. Epoxy still looks great; some peeling of the topcoat under tires and else where. I think it’s more where the water pools and gets into the microcracks. The topcoat is pretty much a sacrificial wear layer; I’ll get to to redoing when I have the spare time and interest (yeah, right).
Unread 05-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
patrick_here

Gozo, thanks for mentioning the Garage Journal Forum. I didn't know it existed!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase