Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #1
PaulLS

Grout "Oozing" Out?

Need some help diagnosing this problem. I installed a shower last fall. Grout is now "oozing" out in 8-10 locations at the lower half of the shower (but not necessarily at the bottom of the wall). I used Redguard over backer board, Custom Versabond thin-set, and Custom pre-mixed grout. Has anyone seen this before? The only thing I can think of it that water is getting in and forcing its way out by pushing the grout out. The shower does not get heavy use - about once/day for less than 5 minutes, so that doesn't really make much sense to me, either.

Custom tech was not much help. He suggested replacing the grout with Custom Polyblend saying it would allow water to escape if that's the problem.
Attached Images

Unread 07-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Paul.

Can you be more specific about the grout? Custom has more than one grout that is pre-mixed or single component.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

CX.....Paul mentioned Custom's "premixed " grout I doubt that it was Prism or Fusion Pro. Either would not have this problem. Lets see what he had...

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Prism is neither pre-mixed nor a single component grout, Laz. And I noted that he said it was a Custom pre-mixed grout, but Custom makes more than one, which is why I asked the question. How 'bout we let him answer.

Unread 07-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #5
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

ifn it doesnt go hard in the bucket it wont go hard on the wall
Unread 07-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
PaulLS

It's "SimpleGrout"
Attached Images

Unread 07-30-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Yeah, I was afraid of that, Paul.

I've never used, nor hope to use, anything from Custom's Simple line of products and I can't recall even having had any reports here on the forums about that grout. I'd advise you to avoid any of that product line in future.
I recognize that's not at all helpful to you and perhaps someone who has experience with the product will chime in.

Custom's newer "single-component" grout, Fusion Pro, has not exhibited any such problems that we're aware of here on the forums to my knowledge.

Your problem could just be the grout, or you could have an underlying problem that is causing the grout to do that. I don't see anything in your description of the installation that's clearly outside the installation recommendations.

1. How long has this shower been in operation with this grout?

2. Did you wait the requisite three days before using the shower?

3. Do you see any moisture seeping out of those places where the grout is failing?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Last edited by cx; 07-30-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Unread 07-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
PaulLS

Thanks for the response. Answers to your questions:
1. Since Oct. I had about 3 spots where this happened a couple months ago. I replaced the grout in those spots, but now it's come back even worse.
2. It was several weeks after the original install, then about 4 days after the repairs.
3. I've not seen moisture seeping out.

I trusted Custom, thinking it was a reputable supplier and seeing that this product was suitable for showers. I did research reviews and saw no bad reviews that related to my concerns. I've now dug deeper and found a few reviews that are troubling. My grout is not soft like in the reviews, but I wish I'd not used a pre-mixed product. I can't see an easy fix. Replacing all the grout would the best long-term solution, but getting the old grout out would be a nasty job - 95% of it is well bonded to the the tile.

Additional thoughts?
Attached Images

Unread 07-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Paul, that Simple line is the very bottom of Custom's product chain and I trust the products not at all.

Their Fusion Pro single-component grout, on the other hand, has not exhibited any problems of the sort in your application that we're aware of. We have had reports of problems with it on shower floors, but in my own use on only one shower floor I've seen no problems with it.

Even presuming the Simple Grout to be a lower quality product, as I do, I still don't recognize the type of failure you're showing us and have no useful idea why it's happening. Hoping someone else will have seen what you've got and give us some insight.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 08-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #10
Metropolitan Ceramics

If I was a betting man, I would bet that they used this grout in the corners as well as the grout joint instead of using silicone in the corners. As the shower is used, it heats up and the grout wants to expand. With grouted corners, there is no place for it to expand so it heaves out in the middle of the grout joint. It does it on the middle/bottom of your shower because that's where the hot water is hitting.

The good news if this is the case is that you don't have to dig out all of the grout, just remove the grout in the corners, replace with color matched silicone sealant, repair the 8-10 places it is occurring and you should be good to go.
Unread 08-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #11
PaulLS

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that's it. The corners were not grouted.

At this point I don't know that I'll figure out the exact cause, but I believe this wouldn't have happened had I not used the premixed grout. I'm pretty much resigned to replacing the grout. Otherwise I'll be doing repairs every 6 months.

Thanks all.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase