Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
LaurenL2

Spectralock 1 Questions

Hi.
--Does this leave a film on tile if it is not cleaned up fast enough?
--Also can you use it on textured tile? I read that some people have issues with a film on the Mapei Flexcolor CQ even if they cleaned it up quickly. This is espcially, but it sounds like not limited to problems with textured tiles.
--Also another bath I have will have mosaic pressed glass tiles. Any issues using this product with that? Staining or scratching?
--When grout is "sanded" like this, are there ways to keep it from scratching tiles? Like a lighter touch? Better sponges? Something like that or you just test it and see? The pressed glass tile is confusing - one instruction sheet says not recommended for sanded grout and the other says to use epoxy grout if prefer stain resistance (which I think is always sanded).
--I don't care about strength - to me all grouts will be fine in my residential bathrooms from a strength perspective. I only care about staining over time. I want the best grout that is stain resistent, but also that it can be installed easily enough because I don't want to risk a bad job from my contractor. All of my tiles are ceramic except one is pressed glass. Several of the ceramic ones have texture to them. Thoughts appreciated on this.
Thank you for your help and advice.
Unread 06-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Lauren.

You'll do better by starting a project thread of your own in the Advice forum where you can give us all the particulars of your project and your tiles, rather than asking project specific questions on this single product thread.

[Edit] 06-19-20 posts moved to new project thread, but OP has never returned.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 06-19-2020 at 12:38 PM.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2020, 06:24 AM   #3
Metropolitan Ceramics

CX makes a good point but I will weigh in on a few of your questions. I haven't worked with the Spectralock 1 but it seems like you're comparing it to the Flexcolor CQ with which I'm very familiar. The Flexcolor CQ has a rounded aggregate (think little beads instead of grains of sand) which makes it less prone to scratching your glass and soft ceramic tiles. Cleanup on textured tiles isn't really a big issue, it gets used on them all the time. If you do get a film, some Windex will usually do the trick. If it is really dried on, a citrus based cleaner like Goo Gone can remove the haze. Usually just rinsing with lots of clean water when you're in the cleanup stage is enough though. Unlike with cement based grouts, you can't wash the pigment out of Flexcolor CQ because it's bonded to the aggregate. Based on the TDS it appears that Spectralock 1 develops more early (24 hour) strength. It also tends to be more expensive, close to the cost of a true epoxy grout. If you don't need the extra early strength or epoxy chemical resistance, you would probably be better off with the Flexcolor due to the rounded aggregate.
Unread 06-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
LaurenL2

Thank you for your help. I only care about the staining from chemicals or soaps or dirt or mold. So does that mean an epoxy or epoxy -like is the solution? I don't want to be sealing every year. Is the Flexcolor CQ good against stains? I would still love to hear from someone on the Spectralock 1. Thanks so much
Unread 06-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Can't comment on SL1, but I have used Spectralock epoxy grout and love the stuff. It is nearly bullet proof. If staining is a concern that's what I'd go with, a proven track record.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase