Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
warp50

Tile Offset...

I'm getting ready to tile our bathroom with 6x24x3/8 porcelain tile that has an appearance of wood. I will be going with a 1/8 inch grout spacing. I have checked the floor and the tile for flat and they both seem to be flat, no rocking on the tile that I can detect. My question is this: is there a particular offset I should use for this size tile? I was thinking a regular brick pattern, or should I go with a 1/3 (8 inch) offset? Does the offset make a difference that I should be worried about? The total floor is about 90 sq. ft. Thanks for your response in advance.
Unread 04-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, John.

The tile industry standard for substrate flatness for the size tile you have is no deviation from intended plane of more than 1/8th" in ten feet and no more than 1/16th" in two feet. That is a very, very flat floor.

The way to check your tiles for flatness would be to stack them on edge face to face and see what gaps you have at the ends. Stacking a substantial group of the tiles from different boxes on edge and laying a straight-edge across the tops will give you a good idea how much size variation you might have. The tile industry recommendation for grout joint width is that it be three times the difference in size of your tiles.

The tile industry recommendation for tiles with any edge longer than 15 inches is that no offset of more than 1/3rd be used in your layout. But if your tiles are very, very flat, you could exceed that if you want. The tile manufacturer will frequently specify a minimum grout joint and a maximum offset to be used.

The concern with the offset is that any warpage in the tile tends to exacerbate lippage between the ends of the tiles where they meet the center of others even if properly installed.

What you use is, of course, entirely up to you and your tolerance for uneven grout lines and lippage.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
warp50

Installing Kerdi Membrane.....

I'm getting ready to install the Kerdi membrane to my shower walls. First time I'm doing this. I'm using a 1/4 x 3/16 v-notch trowel and Schluter All-Set. I'm not sure how much thin set I should mix for coverage. Can someone who has some experience with this give me an idea of about how many square feet of coverage I can get with a certain amount of mix? Maybe a quarter bag or half bag for so many square feet?

Thanks for your help.
Unread 04-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
Kman

I wouldn't mix more than a quarter bag if this is your first time installing Kerdi. Remember, you can always mix up more, but you can't "un-mix" it.

A few tips to help you along:

1. As much as possible, pre-cut your pieces so you don't have to stop after every piece is installed to cut a new one. Most thinset mortars have a pot life of two hours. You don't want to waste any of that time cutting Kerdi. I usually cut all my showers at my house the night before I install.

2. You didn't mention the substrate, but if it's drywall, you'll want to wipe the wall down in the area you're about to cover immediately before putting mortar on it. It doesn't need to be dripping water, just damp. If it's a cement board, you'll really have to work fast since the board will soak up the water very quickly. You may have to wipe it down two or three times to keep it damp. Some installers use a pump sprayer for this.

3. Use a level to make a plumb line for reference where to wipe down, spread mortar, and to set the edge of the next sheet.

4. Get yourself a couple of 6 or 8" drywall taping knives to smooth the membrane out after setting it. I use two with the corners ground off. They're very helpful when going around corners.

5. Once you get the mortar spread on the wall, get it covered quickly. Leaving it open for any reason will allow it to dry out too much, and you won't get a good bond to the membrane. Don't have a fan blowing in the area, as moving air will also dry out the mortar too quickly. When you get the first sheet up, if you can't get it smoothed out so that you can't see the trowel lines, your mortar has dried out too much, or you mixed it too dry to begin with.

Remember, the clock starts as soon as you finish mixing, so be prepared to work quickly with no distractions. If you need more information, I would suggest John's e-book in the TYW Store.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
warp50

My pieces are cut. I'm applying it over drywall, so I'll wet it down. I do have drywall knifes, thanks for that tip. I'll start with a quarter bag and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.
Unread 04-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi John,

Don't "wet" the walls down. Wipe them down with a damp sponge to make sure there is not drywall dust remaining on the surface.

Mix your thinset "loose." Not runny, but about like mayonnaise. Don't try using it stiff.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #7
warp50

Thanks John, I am progressing with the membrane. I will be installing a bench and a shelf in the shower. What degree of incline do you recommend and what might be the best way to achieve it?

Thanks
Unread 04-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
John, the bench and shelf should slope towards the drain by about the same amount as the floor does; 1/4" per foot.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #9
warp50

So if the shelf protrudes from the wall 6" the slope would 1/8 inch? Does this apply to the curb also?

Thanks
Unread 04-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Correct.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2020, 07:01 AM   #11
warp50

Grouting questions...

I'm getting ready to grout my bathroom floor. 6 x 24 Porcelain tile, about 100 square feet. I'm planning on using Mapei Keracolor S sanded grout with polymer. Mapei has a "Grout maximizer" that you can use instead of water. They claim that you don't have to seal if used. I'm looking for some feedback on its use, if anyone has used it...what is your opinion? Should I just use water and then seal afterwards? If so, what is a good sealer? Also, what is an average workable time for grout? Not sure how much to mix. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Unread 05-04-2020, 07:24 AM   #12
Jason@mapei
Jason Cantin Mapei Technical rep

Grouting question

I may be biased but I think its a great product Just mix the right size liquid with the correct size bag of grout. "Pour the appropriate premeasured amount per the label of UltraCare Grout Maximizer into a clean mixing
container. Gradually add the proportionate amount
of Keracolor S or Keracolor U while slowly mixing.
To avoid shade variation of the finished joint, always
add the powder to the additive while being consistent
in the mixing process." Because its built in it cant "wear" off.

https://cdnmedia.mapei.com/docs/libr...rsn=4cffdfe5_0

Good Luck,

Jason
Unread 05-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #13
warp50

Anybody else want to weigh in on this…I think the tech Rep from Mapei is maybe a little biased…could someone recommend a good sealer?
Unread 05-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

John, we generally get very good advice from any of our MAPEI reps who frequent the forums and if one of them were to give you bad advice it would be corrected promptly as with any faulty or improper advice here, regardless who posts it.

That said, of course the MAPEI rep is gonna be biased in favor of his own products. Wouldn't last long there if he weren't, eh?

I've not used the "Maximizer" product, but would expect it to function as advertised. I think the only real problem you're likely to have would be a result of your expectations. Folks tend to think grout sealers are magic and keep your grout from getting dirty or staining, when all they usually do is give you an extra half a minute to clean up the staining material you just poured on it. The type of sealer you're talking about that's mixed with the grout may do better than the penetrating sealers applied after grouting, but I don't know that to be the case. I would expect them to do at least as well, though.

Lots of good penetrating sealers out there for use on cementitious grouts, though, if you decide to go in that direction. Miracle Sealants 511 is one that's mentioned here regularly.

Type sealer into the Advanced Search feature and ask for Titles and you'll find hundreds of sealer discussions and some recommendations.

My opinion; worth price charged.

[Edit] John, I've combined you with your previous thread on this floor for continuity. If your shower thread is also about this same bathroom we could combine that here, too. And a moderator can give the thread a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 05-04-2020 at 01:49 PM.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #15
warp50

Thanks for your reply CX. Yes, it would be great if you could combine my shower post with this thread.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase