Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-29-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
HudsonDIY

Another vinyl sheet flooring mess.

Greetings and thanks for allowing me onto the forum.

I've read many threads about this but I'm still waffling about what to do. I have a somewhat small laundry room my wife and I are tiling with porcelain tile. The issue is there is currently some very ugly sheet vinyl over concrete on the floor now. I've removed a small patch of the sheet vinyl and there appears to be a white adhesive underneath, possibly latex based. The patch was about 6 inches square and I was able to remove most of the adhesive with a paint scraper with some effort. My question is this, would this be easier with a hand grinder? Yes I know its going to create a lot of dust, I can deal with that and the area is small. I'm thinking something more like a sanding disc so I'm not digging into the concrete but only removing the adhesive. I'm thinking the grinder would be much quicker but would it be worth the mess? To set aside any concerns about asbestos, no there is none. The house is much too new for that.

Thanks for in advance for sharing your experience.
Unread 04-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #2
navyson
Tile Setter

You need something like this:
https://www.craintools.com/tear-out/scrapers/360
A good way to tear out is to use box cutter to slice stripes about 8-10 inches wide in the sheet vinyl, pull an edge up, then pull the length up. Whatever is left on the floor including adhesive is scraped up with the scraper.
Unread 04-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I agree with Donald, we used those scrapers for years before we ever knew what a grinder/ cupwheel was. Both work but for a small area the scraper would be much cheaper. Home Depot has one in their paint Dept that has a little shorter handle that works pretty well. Get extra blades.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Hoggercap

Agree with the scraper, but get one 4' long to help your back and knees out. And a 10 pack of blades. Change the blades out often.
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've also been known to heat vinyl with a propane torch to get it up.
Unread 04-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
Metropolitan Ceramics

If it's well adhered you could potentially go over it without removal. Because you're on concrete, deflection shouldn't be an issue. You would want to scuff up the surface with a coarse sanding disc and use a highly modified mortar.
Unread 04-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
john619

Not to be an alarmist, but the age of the house does not preclude there from being asbestos in the adhesive or the flooring. There are still products coming into the US with asbestos in them TODAY. I would treat the dust as if it were hot in any case.
Unread 04-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
HudsonDIY

First let me thank everyone for their replies.

Let me add some additional info to make things more clear. The sheet flooring comes up pretty easy with no trace of the actual flooring left behind. Its cheap builder flooring that was in very common use in Florida in the 90's and 2000's. It honestly isn't adhered very well at all. The adhesive is another story altogether. As they say, work smarter not harder. I'm just trying to use the most efficient means to get this old adhesive up with a minimum of effort. My plan is for this house to be my last and I don't want to be doing this twice.

I'm 100% positive there is no asbestos in any of these components, yes I'm willing to bet my life on it.
Unread 05-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #8
HudsonDIY

I'm resurrecting this post now that I'm actually getting around to this. My next question is how clean is clean enough. I pulled out a wash basin in this spot and removed the vinyl. This is the result of about 45 minutes of scraping. As you can see (circled) there's still some residual adhesive left behind. Do I need to get this up as well to insure a proper bond or will the thinset stick to this? It may require explosives to remove.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Unread 05-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #9
smifwal

Not good enough,keep scraping. Go to home Depot/Lowe's and buy the cheapest thinset you can find and a 4in scraper and a bunch of blades. Sprinkle the thinset over the the glue and start scraping, the thinset will gum up the glue
Unread 05-18-2020, 07:51 PM   #10
HudsonDIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by smifwal View Post
Sprinkle the thinset over the the glue and start scraping, the thinset will gum up the glue

Unfortunately that is the result of 45 minutes of very aggressive scraping with a 4" scraper. Sorry I don't get how the thinset going to "gum up"? That floor is dry as a bone as well as the old adhesive. Maybe there is some confusion, the adhesive is similar to construction adhesive and has become hard as a rock. I don't think any amount of scraping is going to get it off. If it absolutely has to come off I'm going to have to move on to more drastic measures.

Last edited by HudsonDIY; 05-19-2020 at 06:17 AM.
HudsonDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #11
smifwal

Most of the time left over glue when scraped will stick to the scraper blade, so the thinset or floor patch will stick to the glue and it won't gum up on your blade. You may need a diamond cup grinding wheel to get the rest of that glue off. You should also get a dust shroud for your grinder to hook to your shop vac. If not this will be a dusty mess
Unread 05-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #12
HudsonDIY

There's absolutely nothing gummy about the adhesive left on the floor. In fact I've been spraying the floor down to keep the concrete dust down and the dry adhesive from flying all over the room.

Unread 05-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Tracy.

I don't see a picture, so I may be off here. Have you considered checking a couple rental stores for the use of a floor cup grinder?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #14
HudsonDIY

Well actually if you notice I mentioned using a grinder in the beginning of the thread and was assured a scraper would do the trick. I posted a pic earlier but I'll repost. The area of concern is circled. I worked like a dog on that spot and that's pretty much the best I could get with a scraper. Like I've said in previous posts, this is not gummy residue, it's very hard and dry. I've removed more of the vinyl and this seems to be a particularly stubborn spot. The adhesive was very thin there and strange as it might seem the thinner it is the harder it seem to get up. The thicker areas come up in chunks.

Unread 05-19-2020, 07:35 PM   #15
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Ok, a picture would be good.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase