Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
Rodeo360

Sealing question for marble floor tile

I have searched and read about 100 threads here on sealing marble and I can't quite find the exact answer I am looking for.

We are tiling the floor with 1" hexagon white carrara polished marble tile (flecks of gray). We are using an unsanded dove gray grout. There is the same tile in the back of the niches, and we did not seal that before grouting.

The tile store is recommending sealing the tile before grouting and then once again 3 days post.

I keep reading here that sealing marble may be a mistake or at lease futile. I do want to seal the grout if possible.

Should I be sealing this marble at all? If so, before and after grouting?

Name:  IMG_1338.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  82.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1339.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  48.3 KB
Unread 03-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #2
Metropolitan Ceramics

Sealing marble isn't a mistake, but using it for that application might be. White marble in particular is like a sponge and prone to discoloration from moisture that doesn't fully drain around the perimeter of the drain. It can also have yellowish minerals that migrate to the surface over time and make individual mosaics look discolored. I would strongly suggest that you find a porcelain mosaic with the same look and use that. If you're determined to use it, make sure that the drain is installed exactly as the manufacturer recommends, that all weep holes are open functional, and that the pre-slope is sufficient. Once all of that has been checked off the list, use a white mortar to set the mosaics and then seal them on the top and all four sides prior to grouting. Grout per the manufacturer's instructions and thoroughly clean all grout residue. Allow the grout to cure (the 3 day window they told you is a typical number) and seal again before using the shower. You also may want to consider a white grout instead of the gray although the pre-sealing should mitigate color migration.
Unread 03-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
Rodeo360

Thank you for the reply, Metro. For clarification, we are only doing marble on the bathroom floor, not a shower floor. The shower has a tub in it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase