Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 01-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
RedRob48

removing salt residue from restaurant floor

Hello to all!!! I have a part time job in the mornings cleaning a restaurant and every winter I go thru hell when it snows and they apply salt or ice melt in the front entrance. Of course people track it in and also leave behind a white residue that I have to mop multiple times or more to get rid of. Tried spraying bleach and mopping it vigorously while changing the water in the bucket a couple times...seems to work but still a whitish stain remains. Anyways I read online from many sources that white vinegar is the way to go. But before I try this I have a few concerns...will it damage the tiles (terra cotta I think, the tiles you see in most restaurants) and won't it stink up the place?? Thanks for your reply....
Unread 01-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Rob.

Any chance for long runners at all the entrances to catch a lot more of the salt?

As to your question: Vinegar is an acid. Acids don't clean, they eat. I'd avoid this.

Using a wet vac to extract the dirty water would help remove the salt residue from the tile faster than just multiple moppings with frequent water changes).

If you are in any sort of position to recommend or authorize a sealer for the tile, I'd investigate sealing the tile. I'm thinking of a product Prosoco makes called SaltGuardWB. It's been 15 years since I used the product last. And it's meant for masonry surfaces...So contacting them to check compatibility is in order here. Also, call Mapei's technical service line and ask for John K. He will very likely have a recommendation for you in terms of cleaning products and sealing products against salt.

Let both of them know that this is a restaurant and also tell them what kind of cleaners are used on the floor. There are some potent cleaners (like enzymatic cleaners that are popular in restaurants) that would harm/strip potential sealers, so tell them what's used.

If these companies are foreign to you, holler and I'll grab their phone numbers for you.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2017, 05:40 AM   #3
AnnaMary

Try white vinegar for cleaning.
Unread 02-15-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
fhueston

Plenty of water and a wet wac...a good neutral cleaner will also help. Might want to look at a machine like a Kaivac. which can rinse and vac.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase