Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-21-2020, 08:46 AM   #76
HouseOfJoe

Think I found an option. It's not self adhesive, but otherwise seems to be exactly the kind of thing CX was talking about.

https://mosaicartsupply.com/shop/mos...per-10-sheets/
Unread 10-21-2020, 10:41 PM   #77
HouseOfJoe

I’m going to install a piece of quartz as the top of my curb. Anybody have opinions on what they like to see for the overhang over the edge of the curb? I’m thinking maybe a half an inch on both sides but I’d be curious to hear others’ opinions on what has worked for them.
Unread 10-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #78
cx
Moderator emeritus

Half-inch overhang would seem a bit much to me, Joe. I'd think a quarter-inch reveal would be more than enough.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #79
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's personal preference, I like 1/2 inch. Some granite fabricators installed some a while back on one of my showers with 1 1/4 overhang. I thought that was too much.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2020, 09:22 PM   #80
HouseOfJoe

Tile layout

I'm having trouble deciding on shower wall tile layout. I'm using 12x24 porcelain. If I do a 50% offset starting on the larger back wall, my first course ends with a 10 inch piece on the back wall, and a 14 inch piece coming around the corner, which ends up working well for where the short wall ends. But the second offset course ends with a 2.5 inch wrap around the corner, which is unacceptable to me.

A straight grid pattern works out well as far as spacing goes, I just can't decide if I like that look better than the offset.

So my question is if I go with the offset pattern...is it a good idea on that second course to just use a full tile as the first piece on the short wall? That would mean on the first course the first piece going around the corner would be 16.5 inches instead of 14 so that the grout lines would still match up.

Would your eye even see that? I have no idea if, as my father likes to say, I'm "picking fly #!%$ out of the pepper", or if that would be a bad idea for whatever reason. Which is why I'm asking! Thanks for the opinions.
Attached Images

Unread 10-23-2020, 10:45 PM   #81
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A 50% overlap on larger tile often doesn't work well. General industry guidelines call for a max of 30%. But, if your tile are VERY flat, any offset can work. Have you taken a sampling group of tile, placed a few top to top and see if they rock, or there are spaces between them? Odds are, they will rock, and usually, a 50% offset will put the crown in the middle of the tile next to the lower ends, making for potentially, some significant lippage.

So, you need to investigate that first, then decide you best layout options.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2020, 11:00 PM   #82
HouseOfJoe

Thanks, Jim. So far it looks like I'm lucky. These tiles seem exceptionally flat. There's three different boxes in this pic.

It looks like orienting vertically in a stack pattern solves literally all my problems. On the large wall I would have to trim 1 inch off of both edge tiles and about 2 inches off the bottom stack. The side walls would have a seven inch wide piece, two full tiles, then another seven, finished with a 2 3/4 bullnose. Ceiling works out too.

I know I'll be giving my laser a workout to maintain alignment so that my grout lines don't suck, and that it will still be dependent on nearly all of my tile being as flat as these first three boxes are. Tomorrow I'll give all of them a very close look, and we shall see.

Oh, and by the way, I had tried a 30% offset, and there were even worse slivers in that arrangement!
Attached Images

Unread 10-25-2020, 07:00 AM   #83
HouseOfJoe

CX, thank you so much for this idea. It worked PERFECTLY! Not a single stone out of place.

By the way, anybody have any advice on the trowel notch I should use on something like this? There are three stone sizes, half-dollar, quarter, and dime/nickel.
Attached Images

Last edited by HouseOfJoe; 10-25-2020 at 08:12 AM.
HouseOfJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #84
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
How thick are they, Joe? I'd guess 1/4X1/4 square notch, max but if they're thin a 3/16 v-notch might be better.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #85
HouseOfJoe

They’re a solid quarter inch, Dan, possibly even just a whisker more.
Unread 10-25-2020, 11:01 AM   #86
cx
Moderator emeritus

Joe, with tiles that size I'd recommend you notch mortar onto the substrate and then flatten the notches with the flat side of your trowel. Actually, I'd do the flattening with a 6" drywall knife in a confined space like that niche.

That'll allow you to set those tiles and have even the tiny ones fully covered on the back and with much less squeeze-out between the tiles. A grout float is a good tool for embedding the sheet evenly into the mortar.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #87
HouseOfJoe

Great advice, CX, I’ll do it just that way. I have to avoid squeeze out as much as possible because the paper will block me from being able to see that it’s happened until the thinset has already hardened and I remove the paper.

Think I should back butter the tiles too? Or a least key some thinset onto them? I would think so, but it’s a double edged sword between coverage and squeeze through!

Last edited by HouseOfJoe; 10-25-2020 at 12:41 PM.
HouseOfJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #88
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

That would seem to be a prime candidate for a slant-notched trowel...instead of V's or square or round notches that you must then smush flat when setting the tile, a slant-notched trowel makes the peaks tall and thin and slanted so that after combing them, they fall over making a nearly flat surface that is all gauged perfectly (assuming you hold the same angle with the trowel on the floor).

https://www.amazon.com/Raimondi-TR14.../dp/B00MX6OWPI

They come in various sizes.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 10-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #89
HouseOfJoe

Well, that did not go well.

Massive squeeze-out, everywhere. Knew it in seconds of placing the sheet, even without being able to see through the paper. Tore away some paper to confirm, then...

eject, eject, eject!

*sigh*

I shouldn't have keyed the back of the sheet. I tried to do it very lightly, but I'm sure that's where half or more of my squeeze out came from. I keyed the niche, notched it, knocked down the notches with a drywall knife, then keyed the sheet. If I hadn't done that last step, and had just laid the sheet into the niche and then pressed VERY lightly with the float I think it would have worked. If I had some tiles that didn't adhere well I could have fixed those one by one.

Oh well. I didn't just hope for the best and let the thinset dry and end up with an unrecoverable disaster. I can try again.
Attached Images

Unread 10-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #90
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Now you have the fun of either playing jigsaw puzzle, or trashing those, and buying new...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase