Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
Force

Porcelain Tile on Table Top

I am using an old lowboy chest of drawers to create a workbench in my garage. I have framed out an addition to give the bench a deeper work area.
I have some leftover 9x36 wood-look porcelain tile that I would like to lay on top for a nice work area. Can I get away with using construction adhesive to apply the tile to the benchtop or do I need to go the mastic route? I was thinking of using a 1/8" spacer with 33% overlap. The top is very flat.
Trying to keep this simple.
Thank you.

Mark
Houston, YeeHa! Texas
Unread 10-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Mark.

How's 'bout you put that geographic location into your User Profile for us. YeeHa!

You're gonna be well outside the ceramic tile industry's purview with that project, but I'd recommend you follow their recommendations as closely as possible. I would add a CBU to the table top (I'm guessing you've made a plywood top for that extension) and install the tile with thinset mortar.

What sort of work do you intend to do on that workbench that makes you think ceramic tile will be a good surface?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Force

Pretty much going to be used as an armorers table. The tile is because it's left over from a home project and it looks nice. No heavy hammering. I have other tables for that.
When you say CBU would be something along the lines of Schluter Ditra? I have some of that leftover too. Thanks.

Last edited by Force; 10-25-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Add to conversation/Question
Force is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase