Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #136
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
I should have stopped working about 30 minutes prior to this as I was tired but wanted to get it done and just wasn’t thinking.
That's one lesson I've finally learned, Greg; stop working the moment I'm trying to force something, or rush. Only took me 30 some years to learn that. LOL

Re the unmodified; sure, you can use it.
  • IF whatever you're using it on top of calls for it.
  • And IF whatever you'll be setting on it calls for it.
  • And IF the bag hasn't been open for too long.
  • And IF you're sure you'll have enough.

ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #137
gcc

Lol - yeah, I should have known better! It’s on there. Hopefully won’t be too much of an eyesore. Honestly, by the time it’s grouted it will hardly be seen. Who knows - it is what it is. We live and learn.

The bathroom floor is just a cement slab. I didn’t know if I needed modified for strength or anything since it will be on a floor. But the floor is only about 5’ x 6.5’. I’d rather try to use up the bag that will be open and then if I have to get more I’d only have a part of one bag left over instead of 2 half bags. Any reason you can think of unmodified can’t be used on 6 x 12 tile over a concrete slab? I can’t find keralastic to mix in - so...it will just be unmodified.

Thanks a bunch,
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 09-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #138
ss3964spd

The concrete won't care, but if you're using porcelain tile they might.
Unread 09-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #139
gcc

Well, when ya put it that way...$13 for a bag of modified seems like cheap insurance

Unread 09-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #140
ss3964spd

Add "mind reader" to your skill set, Greg.
Unread 09-30-2020, 11:00 AM   #141
gcc

Tub to shower

Lol! Learning a lot for sure and I really do appreciate the help!

A few procedural questions...

1. I am going to finish the walls and curb tonight and hopefully the shower floor tomorrow. Hopefully grout Saturday. When grouting, I’ll do the walls first then wait then clean off. Instructions say to wipe any haze off an hour after the wash, but by then I’ll
Have done the shower floor. Can that final wash wait a day? Using flexcolor CQ.

2. Is it worth waiting until the bathroom floor is in and grouting the entire room at once? (It’s the same grout for all of it.

3. I am debating on removing the toilet flange. It’s pvc so it is glued in. On one hand, it would allow me to tile underneath where the flange will be and more importantly, I could replace it with an offset flange and move the toilet two inches away from the shower as it is too close for sure. On the other hand, it involves chiseling out a glued in (well, I know it isn’t glue) toilet flange, which is a pain. I’ve done it before but I am always nervous about breaking the pipe. Is it common to replace these when tiling a floor?

Thanks!
Greg

Last edited by gcc; 09-30-2020 at 01:47 PM.
gcc is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #142
gcc

Hey all - need some help with grouting. I use a flexcolor CQ - I’ve used it before but for some reason I am getting a haze with it this time. I followed the direction but am hoping this haze will wash off tomorrow.

I put it on, wiped it off at a 90 degree angle, set the timer for 8 minutes, washed off...waited an hour and wiped off again. I still got a haze. I waited several hours again and worked off but haze comes back.

Side note - the sponge that comes inside was sealed but when I wet it snd rang it out for the first time it appeared to already have something in it - it rang out white, not clear. Is that normal?

Is there something I can do to get this haze off tomorrow?

Unread 10-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #143
gcc

Hey all,

So I guess you can’t use an offset toilet flange in a slab? Lol. I had never used one before and was hoping to get another 2 inches away from the shower, but apparently that isn’t possible. Before I give up in the idea, am I missing something?

Name:  IMG_9403.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  7.3 KB

Unread 10-14-2020, 06:20 AM   #144
ss3964spd

I don't think you're missing anything, Greg, you'd have to bust up some concrete to use the off-set flange so it only comes down to what that 2" is worth to you.
Unread 10-14-2020, 07:59 AM   #145
gcc

Thanks. Never having used one I didn’t know exactly how it worked but after dry fitting it I see. I appreciate the confirmation.

Unread 10-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #146
gcc

Tub to shower

Well I just have finishing touches left but here is the pic of the shower and floor. It’s shiny tile so the light adds some weirdness to the pics.

Thanks to all of you for the help. A few notes if anyone has any tips to help me improve:

1. I struggle with silicone. It just made a mess even though I tried all the tricks I’ve read. Some parts look better than others. The corners going up the wall look uneven. I wish I would have just grouted it. The ceiling looks a little wonky too - some parts look really good and others not as good. I tried taping, not taping, using denatured alcohol to help smooth it out, straight finger, tools - I just am not good at it. But I seem to do fine with regular caulk. That being said, it’s not horrible, but not good.

2. Learned a valuable lesson - I measured the floor to the ceiling on the back wall of the shower and made sure to plan out the tile. I’ve never filed up to the ceiling before. For the floor I measured the low spot by using a laser level and measuring from the line down. But my mistake was in measuring for the ceiling. I didn’t check each corner and instead just checked the back wall. That ended up with an uneven gap because the front left corner was a large bit different than where I measured. I went from cutting about a quarter of an inch off the tile where I measured all the way up to a 5/8+ gap between the tile and ceiling in the front corner. Lesson learned. I ended up grouting the difference.

3. Schluter tray does not slope right to the drain. Will be sure to make a mud bed from now on. I’m most worried about that.

4. I still love flexcolor CQ but it left a haze on everything this time. Not sure why. And for whatever reason the actual grout crystals or whatever those are that make up the grout just seemed bigger than last time I used it. Every time I washed it it seemed to pull out of the grout joint and make a bigger mess. But if I waited longer to wash it it would be harder to wash off and then still pull out. I still like it though and will use it next time. I chalk it up to me, not the product. I used a damp but not sopping wet sponge and followed the directions.

5. I need to get better at L-cuts. They seem to come out rounded because I try to even them out with my grinder. Should I use a rubbing stone or tile file in the corner of the cut?

6. Niches - I planned out the bottom so it didn’t have a sliver but messed up the top. The pencil trim around it kind of messed me up. Need to get better at that.

All in all - I still really enjoyed this project. Friends seem happy with it. Gonna do a bathroom tub surround in my house next - I’m sure I’ll have more questions!

Unread 10-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #147
ss3964spd

1) Silicone sucks, Greg, for everyone. You're not special.

2) There's always going to be some area somewhere that, despite careful measuring, has to be fudged. The variable is to what degree. Fortunately, unless it's really bad, the minds' eye stops seeing it after a while, and most people won't ever notice.

3) No matter the slope some water will always be left on the floor. Or the curb. Or the top cap of a pony wall. Or a niche shelf. So it is with mine, too. I squeegee everything ('cept the niche) every time. Adds a few minutes to the showering process but almost completely eliminates cleaning it. Mine has been in use for over a year and I've only cleaned the floor twice, the walls never. The niche 4 or 5 times.

4) I used epoxy grout. Zero experience with CQ.

5) I've used a Dremel tool with various bits, as well as a file and diamond pads to get inside corners as close to square as possible.

6) Getting niches lined up with grout lines is tough.

Yours looks great, an effort to be proud of. I like the contrast of the materials. Hands down, the best response I've received on mine is "are you kidding me?"
Unread 10-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #148
cx
Moderator emeritus

While I don't particularly like the design, I can certainly appreciate the execution. Nice job, Greg.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #149
gcc

Thanks you guys - I really appreciate the feedback and the encouragement. When I start my next one I’ll make sure to start a new thread. Already have some questions but they’ll wait or that thread

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase