Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-05-2020, 07:43 AM   #16
Metropolitan Ceramics

OK, I'm a former MAPEI Tech Rep so my advice is unbiased The Grout Maximizer product is actually very effective at sealing the grout so you don't have to seal it afterwards. In my 6 years of overseeing claims at MAPEI I can't recall any claims involving the Maximizer product not doing what it says it does and we sold a lot of Maximizer to DIYers. If you do decide to grout first and then seal, chances are the store where you are buying your grout will have a sealer they can recommend. Typically that's either an Aquamix or Miracle product although MAPEI does have their own too. They're all based on basically the same chemistry so as long as you follow the product instructions you should have good results. Whatever you decide, it's always a best practice to wipe up spills quickly and keep the grout clean. Once a layer of crud builds up on grout, there is no amount of sealing you can do that will keep it from looking dirty. Best of luck!
Unread 06-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #17
warp50

Tile layout question...

I’m about to start tiling on my shower…I used the Schluter membrane system to waterproof, have done a water test…no leaks. I’m taking the tile up to the ceiling which is 8 feet. I’m going to use 3 x 12 ceramic with some 6 x 18 accent tiles. So here is where the main question comes into play…the Mrs. wants the accent tiles to go horizontally around the perimeter of the shower, one line about 30 inches high and the next about 60 inches high. I was planning on laying the 3 x 12 in a horizontal subway pattern, she wants them to go vertically (not sure where she got this idea) which means I will have to cut the 3 x 12, some of which will put the cut end next to the edges of the 6 x 18. My question is, when it’s time to grout does this cause a problem in the appearance of the finish or do the cut edges blend in? As long as I’m here, I have some general questions: Do the ceramic tiles need to be sealed before setting them? I was planning on laying the floor first, it there a time frame for grouting? Can I wait and grout the floor after I do the walls or should I grout the floor before?
Unread 06-05-2020, 05:50 AM   #18
warp50

Tile Offset...

I’m about to start tiling on my shower…I used the Schluter membrane system to waterproof, have done a water test…no leaks. I’m taking the tile up to the ceiling which is 8 feet. I’m going to use 3 x 12 ceramic with some 6 x 18 accent tiles. So here is where the main question comes into play…the Mrs. wants the accent tiles to go horizontally around the perimeter of the shower, one line about 30 inches high and the next about 60 inches high. I was planning on laying the 3 x 12 in a horizontal subway pattern, she wants them to go vertically (not sure where she got this idea) which means I will have to cut the 3 x 12, some of which will put the cut end next to the edges of the 6 x 18. My question is, when it’s time to grout does this cause a problem in the appearance of the finish or do the cut edges blend in? As long as I’m here, I have some general questions: Do the ceramic tiles need to be sealed before setting them? I was planning on laying the floor first, it there a time frame for grouting? Can I wait and grout the floor after I do the walls or should I grout the floor before?
Unread 06-05-2020, 06:50 AM   #19
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Hi John, we've merged your threads.

Yes, the cut edges will likely show, if the tile you are using has rounded edges (opposed to straight edges), AKA "pillowed". How much that might bother you and Mrs. John is up to y'all to decide.

No, glazed ceramic tile doesn't need to be sealed first.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #20
warp50

I have an area in my shower that I have to tile working down to the floor. I'm currently using Schluter All-set over Schluter membrane. Is there a thin-set that might be better that will hold the tile without sagging until it is set? I was looking at Mapei Kerabond T. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Unread 06-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

John, in theory any of the products with a T after the name (thixotrophic) are non-sag mortars. I've never found the use of such mortars to be a satisfactory substitute for working from the bottom up using appropriate spacers. For only a few tiles, hanging them from the tile above with masking tape sometimes works well, but if you have a lot of tiles to set I'd recommend you find a way to measure carefully and work from the bottom up.

But do try one of the non-sag versions and see if you like it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #22
warp50

Shower caulking Questions...

I’m getting ready to caulk my shower and have a few questions. I ‘ve looked at a lot of threads here and am wanting to know what might work best from people that have done this already. I’ve used sanded grout and am wanting to know if sanded caulk should be used or if it is just a user’s preference or an aesthetic consideration to use sanded or unsanded? Is one or the other easier to work with? Also is there any reason to do horizontal or vertical seams first? I have noticed a lot of ways to apply the caulk, is it better to use painters tape and try to peel it off or just smooth it without the tape? What have you used to help smooth the caulk? I’ve seen everything from spit to dish soap and water to isopropyl alcohol. Thanks for your feedback and feel free to add any tips you may know of.
Unread 08-04-2020, 10:23 AM   #23
cx
Moderator emeritus

So long as it's a 100 percent silicone sealant, the texture and color are purely aesthetic considerations. You can get a 100 percent in the standard shiny version or in a satin or a sanded finish. Entirely a customer preference.

There is no technical reason to do the vertical or horizontal joints in any particular order.

Unread 08-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #24
warp50

Thanks for your response. What have you found to be the best way to help smooth the caulk?
Unread 08-04-2020, 05:26 PM   #25
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

A finger and a sponge or rag........

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2020, 12:11 AM   #26
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

After gunning the bead, spray it with a pH-neutral cleaner (or denatured alcohol) and strik the bead with a cheap smoothing tool that’s meant for this. The smoothing tool leaves a 45 degree angle bead as opposed to using your finger that leaves a tapered feather edge. The feathered edge has a nasty habit of deteriorating down the road.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #27
warp50

CX… you say “so long as it’s a 100 percent silicone sealant”. I was planning on using Mapei Keracaulk to match the Mapei grout that I used, but I see that it is a “Siliconized Acrylic Caulk”. Are these different and is one better than the other? I assume that Mapei would not sell something that would not hold up over time. Thanks
Unread 08-21-2020, 10:22 PM   #28
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Huge difference between the two.

The “siliconized” is latex.

You really want 100% silicone if you want it to last. It’s called a Mapei Mapesil and it’s available in a lot of colors to exactly match their grout.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #29
cx
Moderator emeritus

I would not hesitate to use the siliconized acrylics outside the wet areas, John, I even prefer them in dry areas, but you really want the 100 percent silicone in the wet area.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase