Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
Fast eddie part deux

Miracle grout

I was in Lowes today buying some plywood, took a walk down the tool aisle, and found myself in the tile aisle. Wife is wanting to replace sheet vinyl in a smal bath with ceramic, so i'm slowly dragging my feet and doing research.

While i am standing there a Lowes clerk asks two guys if they need help. Yes, they are looking for white grout. Sanded. Right here says the clerk, this is what you need. I was trying not to be too obvious so i didnt turn around, but when the guys asked if it was sanded i clearly heard the clerk say "this is considered sanded-unsanded. It can be used for any joint width with all types of tile. And the sealer is alrady built in". I suddenly realized i needed to be on another aisle, i couldnt stand he BS any longer.
Unread 03-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

He was probably showing them MAPEI's Flexcolor CQ, Ed. All his claims could be considered both true and accurate.

The "sanded-unsanded" claim would be indicating the usability of the grout in joints both above and below the 1/8-inch joint width dividing line the industry has for separating the use of sanded and unsanded grouts. The manufacturer says it can be used in grout joint widths from 1/16th of an inch to 1/2 of an inch.

The claim that the sealer is "already built in" comes from the manufacture and also correct. MAPEI says the grout never needs sealing.

If you have a complaint with the product's claims, I think your beef is with MAPEI rather than the blue vest guy.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
Fast eddie part deux

Wow, surprise me. I have always thought the 1/8" joint size was a firm demarcation for sanded vs unsanded. In fact i have read responses here telling people just that.
Unread 03-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

That’s true for traditional sanded grout. But there are sanded grouts like Laticrete’s Permacolor and Custom Bulding Product’s Prism that use smaller sand or glass particles that allow it to be used down to 1/16”.

But if the guy at Lowe’s was, in fact, telling factual information, that would be something that happens less frequently than more frequently.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2020, 07:09 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Even blind squirrels find a few acorns, Goldstein.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
I have always thought the 1/8" joint size was a firm demarcation for sanded vs unsanded.
That is what the ceramic tile industry standards say, Ed, but many of today's grouts can functionally deviate from that standard if the manufacturer so specifies. Manufacturer's recommendations trump all other product use requirements.

And even back in the day when all grout was cementitious, some of us used sanded grout unless it was simply impossible to force it into the joint width in use.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
Metropolitan Ceramics

Most of the A118.7 grouts today use a smaller aggregate than sand so they can go into smaller grout joints without the sand wedging into the gap and making it hard to get grout down into the joint. The aggregate is often rounded too instead of angular so it doesn't scratch as easily. If you ever wondered what the 'FA' stands for in Ultracolor Plus FA, it's 'Fine Aggregate'. To CX's point, the Flexcolor CQ also uses finer, rounder aggregate so it can do the same thing in a ready-to-use grout.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase