Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
JayHill

Major Master Bath Renovation Complete

I just finished a major, major 9-month long renovation of the second floor master bathroom that could not have been anywhere near as successful without help from the folks that use this forum. So, here are the before and after photos. In order to make this work I had to remove the ceiling in first floor living room to stiffen the 22 foot long 2x4x14 trusses by gluing and screwing 7/16th OSB along the full length of each truss and adding 2x10x10 sistered joists between some of the trusses that were up to 22 inches on-center so the new 3/4 T&G plywood flooring in the bathroom would be sufficiently stiff to provide a good base for the floor tile. In addition, all waste and supply pluming was removed and replaced for both the master and second bathroom on the second floor. Shower was built using standard drywall under Kerdi and the Schueler shower base and drain kit. Floor was put down over Ditra. Both were easy to work with and did everything they were supposed to do. I used Ilva Patagonica Cardiel (14x14, 7x7, and 3x3) and Ilva Patogonica Huemul (3x3) for contrast. I got the tile from FastFloors.com at about half the cost quoted locally. Delta shower fixtures; Danze sink faucets. Granite counter top and Carrara marble basins. Wilson Glass designed the tempered glass enclosure. All fixtures are Venetian Oil-Rubbed Bronze, FanTec 140 system to vent the moisture, Infrared heat lamp, and timer controlled towel warmer.

I'm going to try and show each view with a before and after photo of the 8 x 9 1/2 foot bathroom. First two photos are from the doorway toward the far wall where originally the toilet was on the left (out of the photo) and the shower across from it. The new view shows the new wall separating the toilet (now on the right and behind the wall) and the man's side of the walk-in shower (controls and shower head are at standard recommended heights). Not sure if I can put the photos in the text where I want, but the order should be:

Before. Toilet on left out of photo.

After My side. Toilet is now behind shower wall

After Her side (lowered fixtures)

After New cabinets & basins.

After Toilet Area

I’ve got a week to rest before finishing the guest bathroom where I’ve already installed a new jetted tub.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and help,

Jay
Attached Images

JayHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
geddy2112

Looks Great!!! I hope mine comes out as good.
geddy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
Knyte260

Beautiful work. I like the vanity setup.

Since I'm about to do the same thing from the looks of it with my glass, I figured I'd bother you with a couple questions.

How wide and tall is that door? I was told from my glass guy that with 1/2 inch glass I can only go 28 wide on the door with 72 (standard) height. (Using two brass hinges).

Also, at the top right side of the fixed panel, does that shake/move anything significant. My glass guy said that without using a header (ick), that my glass would sway back and forth there if you put your hand on it. My width is a total of 6 feet, with 28 inch door so my fixed panel is probably larger than yours.

Lastly, did you go with a double inswing hinge? Are you happy with it?

-Chris

PS: What did you pay for the glass?
Knyte260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
JayHill

Glass Enclosure

Chris,

I sent you a private message to answer your questions. My door is 26-27 inches wide. My hinges are self centering type. The glass is 3/8 inch thick and has very little movement even on the fixed glass corner that meets the top of the door. That movement only happens because the vinyl strip on the door rubs slightly at the top. I probably need to readjust the door slightly to get the original gap back. I got the glass from Wilson Glass. If you go to their web site, they'll give you all the info. Cost was around $1,400 as I recall. Their material is top notch. Hope that helps.

Jay
JayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase