Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
jasondiy112

Tile to drywall corner transition question

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on making a corner with a wall that is already tiled and drywall that is set not flush with the tile. (See picture for better detail)

I'd use a corner bead but the tile has already been set unfortunately, so I can't put it over the tile. Is this something I just have to fill with joint compound or use a plastic corner liner to hide it (after walls are painted)?

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
john619

run another schluter trim piece just like the one terminating the tile behind your drywall. there are many profiles available. or you could use J bead trim.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jason,

Besides the J-metal for drywall there is also an L-metal bead that will cover the drywall edge and just touch the tile. The metal is paintable.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
ZZZK

The big orange store sells a notched vinyl corner bead (but it can be had elsewhere). It looks like this:

https://hw.menardc.com/main/items/me..._CBAVYLMEN.jpg

The notched side can easily be trimmed down to cover your drywall edge and butt up flush against your edge trim. It is then tacked into place using 3M 77 spray glue. Once you do this you can finish your corner with drywall mud (but for this I would use a hot mud). You can then prime and paint and finish it like the rest of the wall. You'll need to caulk the corner at the bottom of your edge trim. This should give you a similar look as if you properly finished the corner prior to tile (what you should have done in the first place) but will be weaker and more prone to cracking than if it was properly finished. It will also make the edge trim look more narrow compared to other places where the edge trim is visible.

Last edited by ZZZK; 04-17-2019 at 12:16 PM.
ZZZK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

L bead would be easiest and it would give an nice crisp corner.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x...-202848954-_-N
Attached Images

Silicone Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
jasondiy112

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to try the L-bead but I'm a little confused because I thought the short side of the L shape was supposed to be pressed against the edge of the drywall but in my case since there is a 1/2 inch gap since the tile wall doesn't come flush with the drywall, will the L-bead still work properly if there isn't any support behind the small portion of the L (aside from it sitting against the tile wallboard).

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Not quite sure I get your question but I'll take a stab. You want to bring drywall edge flush with tile? I wouldn't recommend it.

This is how I'd suggest you finish off. Too late in the game for much else.
Attached Images

Silicone Sealant Ranger
Old 04-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
jasondiy112

Yeah that's basically what I was getting at, but I'm guessing if I wanted it flush then I'd have to tear down the drywall and hang new drywall that comes out flush with the tile and then use a J-bead or L-bead on the drywall. Was hoping there was a way to get around that

Thanks
Old 04-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
ZZZK

Jason if you use the method I suggested you could actually square the bead the way you want it when you tack it in place and then fill any unevenness with the drywall mud.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
speed51133

What about a schluter quadec profile, but the drywall is already up and a profile is already on the tile side??

ugh....

grind off the profile from the tile and then slip a quadec under the drywall???
Old 04-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

You could hang L bead or corner bead out beyond drywall and fill the blank space behind it with mud. I'd use setting compound.

My concern would be that you're spanning a joint with potentially differential movement and hoping that doesn't telegraph through the assembly in time. Guess you could try and let us know how it fared in a year or two.

In my experience, flushing of almost any surfaces in a structure such as a home is a lesson in frustration. Offsets will typically hide irregularities better.

If I were to look at your installation from the beginning, I"d either hold back tile assembly from corner of wrap around it. Flush kinda demands perfectly plumb, which is frequently not houses.

Silicone Sealant Ranger
Old 04-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
jasondiy112

I'm leaning toward the L-bead for sure, likely will be a game-time decision on which way I go with it -- flush or not. Obviously the easy route and probably correct route at this point is to leave it offset. Just pains me to do that since it won't be a nice clean corner

Thanks for all your ideas!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase