Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #16
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
LF thinset mortar, from what I understand, typically has a larger size aggregate than does a regular thinset mortar, which helps prevent large, heavier tiles from sinking into the mortar, which is really only an issue when setting floor tile. Only possible down side I can imagine in using LF mortar to set smaller tile is perhaps a bit more difficulty pressing the tile into the mortar.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #17
Izzmit

Thanks for the input. Looks like i should be just fine with 1 bag of LF mortar for both my big and medium tiles.

Finished my RG!
So, i used the fabric tape i mentioned a few posts ago. From the description and reviews, it sounded like almost exactly what i needed, and finding 6" fiberglass mesh was not working out. I dont know that I would do that again...it seemed like so much extra work, and i struggled to get some bubbles out. After it was all done, it just seemed like so much of the shower was covered in tape and more tape...

I used 1 bucket of RG, and about 1 cup of another bucket. Frustrating.
So now i have a almost completely unused bucket of RG. Glad i didn't buy a 3 gallon like the original plan was.
Attached Images

Unread 12-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

Makes those sheet membranes look more attractive alla time, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #19
Izzmit

$ per sqft vs tears per sqft.

Next time i do this (master bath, remove tub), i will look into the Kerdi stuff more closely. Im not writing off Redgard -- it was fine, but now i haver a much better idea of what I am getting into. And hardibacker was annoying to cut.
Unread 12-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #20
Izzmit

Once upon a time, (beginning of "the great plague"), my 6 year old left a glop of hand sanitizer on the wood table. It took the finish right off.

Fast forward a few months, we were living in a AirBnB and my 3 y/o got bored and dipped his fingers into candle wax and drew all over the windows. Remembering my table's finish, i decided to try the sanitizer on the wax on the windows too. Worked great.

Fast forward to yesterday...
My redgard primer coat leaked all over the tub. I finally tried scrubbing it off and it was not going anywhere. But, its 2020! We all carry hand sanitizer like Hank Hill carries WD-40.

Notes: Rubbing alcohol would have probably worked too, but hand sanitizer was on hand. Also, it is thick, so it didnt run all over the place.

Hand sanitizer plus a nylon scrubby removed the redgard easily from my cast iron tub.
Attached Images

Unread 12-18-2020, 12:09 AM   #21
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzmit
...like Hank Hill carries WD-40.

P.S. Your table finish must be shellac. With a little experimenting, you can probably fix that up pretty good. New shellac will reamalgamate with the original. Biggest problem you'll have is color-matching if the wood was stained before the original shellac was applied.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #22
Izzmit

Well well well. Here we are. Finished last night, and the grout should hit its 7day cure tomorrow so i can actually use it.
(And thanks for the tip, Tool Guy KG)
Some more notes....

1) I bought the vanity from Floor and Decor. It seemed better quality and a bit cheaper than HD/Lowes. They do NOT sell sidesplashes or backsplashes for it, other than the backsplash it comes with. They will not give you the manufacturer of the vanity. Nothing. So if you need a new part (like a sidesplash) you are out of luck. Very disappointed.

2) Hexagon involves a lot of cuts. I love the look, but will avoid in the future.

3) We got lucky. The hexagon tile "Near Beige", American Olean", Lowes, was actually part of a series. The bullnose, the small hex tiles in the niche and the 12x24 tiles i chopped to border the niche were all the same series.

4) Lot of buildup to cover the prefab niche and tape. But overall the tiles are fairly level.

5) The caulk kicked my ass. Silicone is a mess. About halfway through (and some sad googling) i discovered that rubbing alcohol makes a great lube and was able to use it on the walls, scraper, finger, etc. Alcohol solves so many things! It was super expensive, but matched the grout. (Custom something something premix grout)
Attached Images

Unread 12-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #23
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quite a transformation, Jake, well done. Enjoy the inauguration!
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase