Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 03-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
nmlazz

Travertine Shower

Can I re-open this thread?

Tumbled travertine in shower, and looking for sealer. I see the recommendations on here... the MB-21 looks good to me...but need more info.

Q: Do I seal before or after grout?

Q: How many coats?

I don't mind the 'wet' look but do not want it shiny..

Q: Will MB-21 or others create a sheen?

Thanks!
Unread 03-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

No, but we can make you one of your own, Nick.

Asking similar, but different, questions on some other visitor's thread frequently results in confusion and inaccurate responses, best to keep'em separate.

I've never used any of the MB products, but the penetrating sealers usually don't produce any gloss on a tumbled stone.

Keep in mind that the photos you were looking at in that other thread were a honed, rather than tumbled Travertine.

We have a couple stone gurus who are very familiar with the MB products, so stand by for better responses.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Stone Dude

MB-21 is an enhancer and impregnating sealer. As long as you biff the excess from the surface before it's cured, it will not add a shine.

You can seal before the grout IF: 1. You don't want the grout darkened 2. You want the grout to be easier to clean up.

I would recommend sealing before the grout, as that will eliminate the potential for the grout to become splotchy, which is sometimes can when using an enhancer. So you might want to explore the idea of using a slightly darker grout than you originally planned, depending on the kind of look you want.

One application is usually enough, however you can do a second if there are dry or light spots, or if you want to darken it slightly more.

MB-21 has little to no odor. It's not cheap, but it works incredibly well and is easy to use.

Remember, for additional applications, I would wait at least 4 hours before deciding on doing another. Enhancers tend to take longer to completely absorb and dry, so you want to give it time to expose any light areas, if there are going to be any. Even better would be to seal in the afternoon, then inspect in the morning.

Let it sit 1o minutes or so, then thoroughly remove the excess wet product from the surface with towels. Don't use paper towels, the tumbled texture will grab and you'll have a hard time. A good terry cloth towel (several) will work, but don't use your good bath towels.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
nmlazz

Quote:
Let it sit 1o minutes or so, then thoroughly remove the excess wet product from the surface with towels. Don't use paper towels, the tumbled texture will grab and you'll have a hard time. A good terry cloth towel (several) will work, but don't use your good bath towels.
Thanks Cameron, is the above quote the buffing you referred to earlier in the post to reduce sheen?

Also, for ease of application and overall performance, what other products would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.
Unread 03-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
Stone Dude

You need to remove the excess with any impregnating sealer or enhancer, otherwise the remaining stuff on the surface will cure and be a smeary, film-generating mess.

Although some will if not thoroughly removed, enhancers aren't really made to add a sheen at all. They are only supposed to affect the color.

The other product I would recommend is CEX 100 enhancer. it comes it quarts and you have to cut it 50/50 with mineral spirits. This will give you a half gallon. This also has very little odor.

Those are my two personal preferences, but a lot of other people like Aquamix Enrich N Seal. I haven't used it in a while, but I do remember it being very thick and somewhat cumbersome to remove. However they may have changed the formula since then.

Everyone has their own preference.

Keep in mind a good enhancer won't be cheap, or comparable in price to a regular impregnator. It's not uncommon for them to be $50-$80 a quart. You can certainly find them for less. It's not a process to take lightly, as once the product is in, it can be very difficult to remove.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase